Records Management Learning and Guides
Guidance about records management is available for government and broader public sector organizations.
Learn more with:
The Recorded Information Management (RIM) Manual provides supporting policy for government records management practices.
Records Management Basics (updated April 1, 2019)
- ARCS & ORCS user guide (PDF)
- Best Practices when leaving a Minister's Office (PDF)
- Departing Employees (PDF)
- Key to ARCS/ORCS Codes and Acronyms (PDF)
- Managing Draft Records and Working Materials (PDF)
- Managing Minister's Office Records (PDF)
- Managing Records During an Election (PDF)
- Managing Website Content (PDF)
- MLAs Guide to Government Information Management Requirements (PDF)
- Office Recordkeeping System (PDF)
- Primer for Information Schedule Reviewers (PDF)
- Records Preservation - Water Damaged Records (PDF)
- Redundant Source Records Guide (PDF)
- Transitory Records Guide (PDF)
Managing Email & Collaboration Tools
- Email Decision Diagram (PDF)
- Email Tips (PDF)
- Email: Recordkeeping Responsibilities (PDF)
- Managing Email Folders (PDF)
- Instant Text Messaging (PDF)
- Online Meetings (PDF)
- OneNote (PDF)
- SharePoint (PDF)
Training for managing records is offered in the following formats.
This six-module course provides information on the fundamental concepts required for managing records and is available to anyone.
The full course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete and includes quizzes and links to additional resources.
- Course Orientation (PDF)
- Module 1: The Benefits. Why ARCS and ORCS? (PDF)
- Module 2: Classifying Records (PDF)
- Module 3: Life Cycles of Records (PDF)
- Module 4: File Maintenance (PDF)
- Module 5: Closing and Boxing Files (PDF)
- Module 6: Managing E-Records (PDF)
Learning System Courses
Government employees can register for in-person and online courses:
- IM 117: Protection of Privacy, Access to Information and Records Management (ITEM-652)
- IM 110: Managing Our Information Assets (ITEM-56)
- IM 112: Managing Government Records (ITEM-41)
- Orientation to Records Management (ITEM-152)
- Records Disposition Processing Without EDRMS Content Manager or CRMS (ITEM-159)
- LAN Organization (ITEM-158)
- Email and Records Management Best Practices (ITEM-570)
To learn more about these courses and to register, visit the GRS Learning webpage (B.C. government only) and search for a course by its title or item number.