Animal Custody Appeals

BCFIRB hears appeals about certain animal custody and related cost decisions of the BC Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BCSPCA) under  the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (PCAA).

If you disagree with the BC SPCA for taking your animals because of distress or abandonment, you can file an appeal with BCFIRB.

There are strict deadlines, set by legislation, for filling an appeal.

Appeals must be made in writing (mail, courier, email, or fax) and include a $100 non-refundable filing fee. Both must be received by BCFIRB within a specified deadline  or you will lose your right to appeal.

Click on the statement below that best describes your situation for important deadline information.

I asked the BC SPCA to return my animal(s). The BC SPCA told me they will not return my animal(s).

I asked the BC SPCA to return my animal(s).  The BC SPCA has not replied.

I don’t agree with the amount of money the BC SPCA told me I must pay.

​Contact BCFIRB