How to pay your RSBC bill

Revenue Services of British Columbia (RSBC) collects payments for medical services plan, health fee for international students, Fair PharmaCare, and BC Emergency Health Services (BCEHS) ambulance services as well as overdue payments for court fines, B.C. student loans, and employment and income assistance.

We may contact you by text or phone if you have an overdue balance and have not made payment arrangements. 

Our texts and calls will come from 346766 or 778-600-0723. We will never ask you to send personal or financial information by text or by email. 

You can pay your RSBC bill:

Note: Some payment options may not be available for all programs.

By pre-authorized debit

If you have an outstanding balance for MSP and would like to set up pre-authorized debit (PAD), please contact us to discuss payment arrangements.

For other program debts, you can set up pre-authorized debit by completing an Application for Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD):

Send the completed form and a copy of your void cheque/banking information to us by mail or fax:

Revenue Services of British Columbia

Fax: 250-405-4412 or 250-405-4410

Using your credit card

You can use your Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Debit Mastercard or Visa Debit to make a payment:

To make a payment you’ll need your account number (e.g. X001234567890) listed on the top of your invoice.

Through your financial institution

Most banks and financial institutions offer bill payment services that can be accessed through:

  • Your online banking account
  • An automated teller machine (ATM)
  • Telephone banking

Check with your financial institution to ensure your payment will be processed by the due date indicated on your RSBC bill.

To pay using a bill payment service you need to add a payee to your bank account. To do this you need to know the payee name and your account number.

Payee Name

Each program has a different payee under Revenue Services of British Columbia. Some financial institutions will use a variation of the payee name. If you can't find us listed with your bank, call your bank for assistance.

Account Number

Your account number is listed on the top of your invoice (e.g. X001234567890).

At a government office

You can pay your RSBC invoice in person at a Service BC Centre. To make a payment you must have your account number (e.g. X001234567890) from your invoice.

Payments are accepted by debit, credit card, cheque, cash, bank draft or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance.

By mail

You can make payments in Canadian funds by cheque, bank draft or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance through the mail. Do not send cash.

You should send your payment at least eight days before the due date if you’re sending it through Canada Post.

To make a payment write your account number (e.g. X001234567890) from your invoice on your payment so your account can be easily identified when your payment is processed and send it to:

Revenue Services of British Columbia

Post-dated cheques

You can mail posted-dated cheques. However, you’ll still receive an invoice if the payment is not applied to your account before your invoice is prepared or the amount of your payment is less than the minimum payment due.

Post-dated cheques on file will be applied to your account on the date of the cheque or the first business day following this date. If a post-dated cheque has not been applied to your account within five days of the date on the cheque, please contact us.

Cancel post-dated cheques

To cancel a post-dated cheque, call us at 1-877-405-4909 at least 3 days before the date on the cheque.