Economic Development Organizations and Groups
There are many organizations, regional trusts and Crown corporations dedicated to the economic development of all communities throughout B.C.
Provincial Economic Development Organizations and Groups
Whether your community is large or small, urban or rural, the following organizations are a good source to help you promote partnerships throughout your community.
- B.C. Assembly of First Nations (BCAFN) works with First Nations to provide them with the tools and information they need to build successful, sustainable plans for economic development.
- BC Chamber of Commerce represents the majority of local Chambers of Commerce or Boards of Trade, advocating for business-friendly public policy on behalf of businesses across the province.
- BC Economic Development Association (BCEDA) provides services that help member communities grow and expand new and existing businesses, attract new business investments, and work towards strategic infrastructure investment, land use planning, and community enhancement.
- BC Rural Centre curates reports, case studies, podcasts, videos, and other tools designed to help rural and First Nations residents make their communities stronger and more resilient.
- Business Council of British Columbia provides public-policy research and advocacy on issues that enhance B.C.'s competitiveness and prosperity.
- Business Improvement Areas of BC represent more than 60 business districts that employ hundreds of thousands of retail, service and office employees - mostly small and medium-sized businesses - within their defined business districts, and are part of maintaining community excellence and highest quality of livability.
- Civic Info BC is the province’s local government information hub. The website has tools and information resources, including contact lists, job listings and more.
- Community Futures British Columbia and their over 30 network offices share a common vision to create diverse, sustainable communities by offering services and tools, including business support services, business planning advice, loans and self-employment assistance, to help entrepreneurs and small business owners achieve their goals.
- First Nations In BC Knowledge Network, brought to you by the First Nations Technology Council, offers an economic development resource library.
- Forestry Innovation Investment (FII) is the B.C. Government's market development agency for forest products. We work to strengthen and diversify international markets for B.C. forest products.
- The Indigenous Business and Investment Council (IBIC) is a partnership of First Nations leaders, industry and government focused on improving Indigenous participation in the economy, and promoting Indigenous businesses, entrepreneurs and industry partnerships.
- National Consortium for Indigenous Economic Development (NCIED), an initiative of the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business and Faculty of Law, focuses on independent and collaborative research, building capacity for economic development in Indigenous nations and their communities.
- Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) was formed to provide a common voice for local government and this role is as important today as it was 100 years ago. UBCM initiates, monitors, interprets and reacts where such changes could have an effect on local governments and the communities they serve.
Trusts and Crown Corporations
Regional economic development trusts and Crown corporations were established through legislation to serve specific areas. Each has developed its own distinct business model for distributing funds to meet community needs.
- Columbia Basin Trust is a Crown corporation established by the provincial government in 1995. The Trust supports efforts by the people of the Columbia Basin to create a legacy of social, economic and environmental well-being and to achieve greater self-sufficiency for present and future generations.
- Destination British Columbia supports a strong and competitive future for B.C.’s tourism industry through a combination of global marketing, destination development, industry learning, cooperative community-based programs, and visitor servicing.
- Innovate BC helps innovators in B.C. access funding, launch their ideas and connect with the experts
- Island Coastal Economic Trust supports economic diversification, planning and regional revitalization in the Vancouver Island and Sunshine Coast region.
- New Relationship Trust participates in the BC First Nations Economic Development Working Group, a provincial working group tasked with overseeing the Action Plan for the BC First Nation Economic Development Strategy.
- Northern Development Initiative Trust is an economic development funding corporation for central and northern B.C. that provides funding and support for stimulating economic growth and job creation in the region.
- Southern Interior Development Initiative Trust helps grow and diversify the economy of the Southern Interior through loans, grants and economic development initiatives in a range of sectors.
Regional Economic Development Organizations and Groups
Find economic development organizations and groups in each of B.C.’s eight regions:
The Cariboo region covers much of the northern interior of the province, ranging from the Cariboo Plateau in the west to the valleys of the Cariboo and Rocky Mountain ranges in the east.
- Aboriginal Business Development Centre
- Cariboo Regional District Community Economic Development
- Community Futures Fraser Fort George
- Community Futures North Cariboo
- Community Futures Cariboo-Chilcotin
- Innovation Central Society
- Mackenzie Economic Development
- McBride Economic Development
- Nazko Economic Development Corporation
- Prince George Economic Development
- Quesnel Economic Development
- Regional District of Fraser-Fort George Economic Development
- Tsi Del Del Enterprises
- Valemount Economic Development
- Williams Lake Economic Development
- Williams Lake Indian Band Economic Development
The Kootenay region is located in the southeast corner of the province, bordering Alberta, Washington, Idaho, and Montana.
- ?aqam Community Enterprises
- Castlegar & District Economic Development
- Columbia Valley Community Economic Development Advisory Commission (CVCEDAC)
- Community Futures Boundary
- Community Futures Central Kootenay
- Community Futures East Kootenay
- Community Futures Greater Trail
- Community Futures Revelstoke
- Cranbrook Economic Development
- Creston Valley Kootenay Lake Economic Action Partnership
- Fernie Economic Development
- Grand Forks Region Economic Development Corporation
- Imagine Kootenay
- Kootenay Association for Science & Technology
- Kimberly Economic Development
- Kootenay Aboriginal Business Development Agency
- Lower Columbia Initiatives Corporation (LCIC)
- Lower Kootenay Band Economic Development
- Nelson & Area Economic Development Partnership (NAEDP)
- Sparwood Economic Development
The Mainland/Southwest region is located in the southwest corner of the B.C. mainland. It includes the Greater Vancouver area, the Fraser Valley, the southern part of the Sunshine Coast, and stretches north to include Whistler, Pemberton and Lillooet.
Find Mainland/Southwest Economic Development Organizations and Groups
- Abbotsford Economic Development
- Advantage Hope
- Bowen Island Community Economic Development Committee
- Bridge River Valley Community Association Economic Development
- Burnaby Economic Development
- Cheam Enterprises Inc.
- Chilliwack Economic Partners Corporation (CEPCO)
- Community Futures Howe Sound
- Community Futures North Fraser
- Community Futures South Fraser
- Community Futures Sunshine Coast
- Community Futures Stó:lō
- Coquitlam Economic Development
- Delta Economic Development
- Foresight Cleantech Accelerator Centre
- Fraser Valley Regional District
- Gitxsan Development Corporation
- Katzie Development Limited Partnership
- Langley Economic Development (City)
- Langley Economic Development (Township)
- LílLíl̓wat Business Group
- Maple Ridge Economic Development
- Mission Economic Development
- New Ventures BC
- New Westminster Economic Development
- North Vancouver Economic Development
- Pemberton Economic Development
- Port Coquitlam Economic Development
- Port Moody Economic Development
- Richmond Economic Development
- Rural Islands Economic Partnership
- Sqéwqel Development Corporation
- Squamish Economic Development
- Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Economic Development
- Sunshine Coast Economic Development Organization
- Surrey Economic Development
- TFN Economic Development Corporation (TEDC)
- Tsalalh Development Corporation (TDC)
- Tsleil-Waututh Nation Economic Development
- Vancouver Economic Commission
- Vancouver Economic Development (City)
- West Vancouver Economic Development
- Whistler Economic Partnership Initiative Committee
- White Rock Economic Development Advisory Committee
The Nechako region stretches from the B.C.-Yukon border in the north down to the central Lakes District and is separated from the northeastern section of the province by the Rocky Mountain Trench.
- Babine Lake Nation Economic Development
- Burns Lake Economic Development
- Burns Lake Native Development Corporation (BLNDC)
- Community Futures Nadina
- Community Futures Stuart Nechako
- Dease River Development Corporation (DRDC)
- Fort St. James Economic Development
- Fraser Lake Economic Development
- Houston Economic Development
- Nak’azdli Development Corporation
- Nechako Kitamaat Development Fund Society (NKDF)
- Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako Economic Development
- Sasuchan Development Corporation
- Smithers Economic Development
- SXDC Ltd.
- Tahltan Nation Development Corporation (TBDC)
- Telkwa Economic Development
- Yinka Dene Economic Development Partnership
The North Coast region covers the northern coastal areas of the province as well as Haida Gwaii.
Find North Coast Economic Development Organizations and Groups
- Community Futures 16/37
- Community Futures Pacific Northwest
- Gitanmaax Development Corporation
- Gitxsan Development Corporation
- Gwaalagaa Naay Corporation
- Haida Enterprise Corporation (HaiCo)
- Haida Gwaii Community Futures
- Kitselas Development Corporation
- Kitsumkalum Development Corporation
- Lax Kw'alaams Business Development LP
- Misty Isles Economic Development Society
- Moricetown Band Development Corporation (MBDC)
- Nisga'a Economic Development
- Nuxalk Development Corporation
- Old Massett Village Council Economic Development
- Prince Rupert Economic Development Office
- Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine Economic Development
- Terrace Economic Development
- Tse’khene Community Development Corporation
The Northeast region shares a border with Alberta and Yukon, and is part of the Peace River Basin. It is separated from the northwestern part of the province by the Rocky Mountain Trench.
Find Northeast Economic Development Organizations and Groups
- Community Futures Peace Liard
- Chetwynd Economic Development
- Dawson Creek and District Economic Development
- Fort St. John Economic Development
- Hudson Hope Economic Development
- Northeast Aboriginal Business Centre
- Northern Rockies Regional Municipality Economic Development
- Tumbler Ridge Economic Development
The Thompson Okanagan region in B.C.’s central interior lies between the Cascade and Monashee mountains, and borders Alberta and Washington.
Find Thompson-Okanagan Economic Development Organizations and Groups
- Accelerate Okanagan
- All Nations Trust Co.
- Ashcroft Economic Development
- Central Okanagan Economic Development Commission
- Community Futures Central Interior First Nations
- Community Futures Central Okanagan
- Community Futures Nicola Valley
- Community Futures North Okanagan
- Community Futures Okanagan Similkameen
- Community Futures Shuswap
- Community Futures Sun Country
- Community Futures Thompson Country
- Clearwater Economic Development
- Clinton Economic Development
- Kamloops Indian Band Development Corporation (KIBDC)
- Kamloops Innovation
- Knucwentwecw Development Corp
- K'ul Group
- LSIB Economic Development Corporation
- Merritt Economic Development
- Okanagan Nation Alliance Business Development
- Oliver Economic Development
- Osoyoos Economic Development
- Osoyoos Indian Band Economic Development
- Penticton Economic Development
- Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
- Revelstoke Economic Development
- Salmon Arm Economic Development Society
- Shuswap Economic Development
- Sicamous Development Corporation
- Summerland Economic Development
- Thompson-Nicola Regional District Economic Development
- Venture Kamloops
- Vernon Economic Development
- West Kelowna Economic Development
- Westbank First Nation Economic Development Commission
The Vancouver Island/Coast region spans Vancouver Island from Victoria to Port Hardy, and encompasses the Gulf Islands and some of the southern mainland shoreline including Powell River.
Find Vancouver Island/Coast Economic Development Organizations and Groups
- Campbell River Economic Development Office
- Coast Economic Development Society (Coast Funds)
- Coast Salish Development Corporation (CSDC)
- Community Futures Alberni-Clayoquot
- Community Futures Central Island
- Community Futures Cowichan
- Community Futures Mount Waddington
- Community Futures Powell River
- Community Futures Strathcona
- Comox Valley Economic Development
- Ditidaht Economic Development Corporation (DDC)
- Economic Development Cowichan
- Heiltsuk Economic Development Corporation
- Huu-ay-aht First Nation
- Innovation Island
- k̓awat̕si Economic Development General Partner Corporation (KEDC)
- Khowutzun Development Corporation
- Ladysmith Economic Development
- Nanaimo Economic Development
- Nanoose Economic Development Corporation
- Nuu-chah-nulth Economic Development Corporation (NEDC)
- Parksville Economic Development
- Port Alberni Economic Development Office
- Port Alice Economic Development
- Port Hardy Economic Development
- Port McNeil Economic Development
- Powell River Economic Development
- Quatsino First Nation Economic Development Corporation
- Regional District of Nanaimo Economic Development
- Rural Islands Economic Partnership
- Salt Spring Island Community Economic Development Commission (CEDC)
- Skwin’ang’eth Se’las Development Company
- Snuneymuxw Development Corporation
- South Island Prosperity Partnership
- Southern Gulf Islands Community Economic Sustainability Commission
- Tahsis Economic Development
- Tofino Community Economic Development Advisory Committee
- Tseshaht Economic Development Corporation
- Ucluelet Economic Development
- Vancouver Island Coast Economic Developers Association
- Vancouver Island Economic Alliance
Add an Organization or Group
Email us at email@example.com to add a B.C. economic development organization or group to this list.