Change a security business licence

Report changes or apply to change the type of security services you provide

Processing takes up to 6 weeks

Before you start

This service lets you:

  • Update your business name, address or contact information
  • Report branches opening or closing
  • Add or remove employees, managers or controlling members
  • Apply to change the type of security services your business can provide

If your licence is lost or stolen, visit Replace a lost or stolen security business licence.

What you'll need


If your business name has changed

Proof of legal name change


If you're adding or removing an employee, manager or controlling member

You'll need their:

  • Name
  • Position
  • Security Worker Licence number (if applicable)

If you would like to provide security services that aren't currently listed on your licence

You must have at least one employee who has a security worker licence in the same category you're applying for. You must provide their name and licence number.


If you would like to start providing Armoured Car Guard services

  • Proof that you own, lease or rent an approved armoured car
  • Safety certificate issued under section 37.04 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations


Processing time

SPD works on change requests every business day. If the changes mean you need a new licence, you can expect to get it within 2 weeks or sooner. It may take longer if:

  • The paperwork isn't complete
  • You pay the change fee late
  • SPD needs to complete a risk assessment

Change fees

Change fees are non-refundable. If you have multiple changes, the total fee is $20 for all of them.

Fees by type of change
Type of change Fee
Add or remove employees or controlling members $0
Update legal business name or trade name $20
Update business address $20
Add or remove branch offices $20
Change the type of security services the business provides $20
Apply to use dogs in security work $20

Payment options

You can't pay by debit-credit card, personal cheque or business cheque.

Payment options by change method
Change method Payment options
  • Credit card (MasterCard or VISA)
  • Credit card (MasterCard or VISA)
  • Bank certified cheque
  • Money order


Submit change form

  1. Complete SPD Form 0515: Reporting an Update to Current Security Business Licence (PDF, 356KB)
  2. Pay change fee (if applicable)
  3. Mail the form and supporting documents to Security Programs Division

Pay change fee

To pay with credit card:

To pay with certified cheque or money order (no personal or business cheques)

  • Make payable to Minister of Finance

Submit manager and controlling member information

If your business has new managers or controlling members, they must submit more information. 

Skip these steps if:

  • Your business doesn't have any new managers or controlling members to report
  • The new managers or controlling members have a valid security worker licence

After you submit

Security Programs Division (SPD) will review your submission. They may contact you by email if they need more information. If the changes mean you need a new licence, you'll get it by mail. Read about processing time.

Cancel changes

To cancel your changes, contact Security Programs Division. The change fee is non-refundable.

Contact information

Security Programs Division manages security business licences.

Contact Security Programs Division