Security industry licensing
Businesses and workers are encouraged to apply online.
Applications that are complete and submitted online will receive the fastest response.
On this page:
COVID-19 Service Impacts
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, fingerprint requirements are waived for security worker licence applicants.
- Police and RCMP detachments may temporarily be unable to complete fingerprinting requests
- Security Services Licensing understands that the inability to complete fingerprinting requirements may cause undue hardship on applicants and may delay provision of public safety services
- Applicants who cannot submit fingerprinting due to the pandemic will be asked to submit fingerprinting at a later date, once fingerprinting services re-open
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Registrar of Security Services Act is extending restraints endorsements on security worker licences if the following three conditions are met:
- You have and maintain a valid security worker licence
- Your Advanced Security Training (AST) has or will expire during the period of March 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021
- You have an endorsement on the back of your current security worker licence that states “authorized to carry and use restraints (handcuffs only)”
The restraints endorsements extension does not apply to
- Untrained individuals
- Endorsements that expired before March 1, 2020
To confirm your eligibility for extension, review the AST Restraint Endorsement Extension Letter.
If you meet the requirements for this extension, when you are conducting security work you must carry on your person the following:
- Your most recent AST certification (that expires between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021)
- A printed copy of the extension letter
- Your valid security workers licence
Businesses and workers are encouraged to apply online. Applications that are complete and submitted online will receive the fastest response.
Security Services Licensing currently requires up to six weeks to process an application.
- Applications that are complete, with full payment, and submitted online will receive the fastest response
- Renewal applications can be submitted 90 days prior to expiry, with best results when renewal applications are submitted 60-90 days prior to licence expiry
Under British Columbia’s Security Services Act, businesses and individuals offering security services must hold a valid security licence issued by the Registrar of Security Services. Approved applicants are issued a licence that specifies the types of security services they may provide as well as special authorizations they have such as the use of dogs and restraints while performing security duties.
As of April 12, 2016, security industry licences were upgraded with new security enhanced licences that met government quality standards. All current licences appear as below:
Front of Card
Back of Card