Self-quarantine on return to B.C.
International travellers are required by law complete the federal ArriveCAN application, meet COVID-19 testing requirements and self-quarantine for 14 day. Air travellers have additional requirements.
Last updated: February 24, 2021
On this page:
- Comply with the federal Quarantine Act
- Complete the federal ArriveCAN application
- Travellers entering Canada by air
- Travellers entering Canada by land or water
- Optional: Complete a B.C. self-quarantine plan
The Government of Canada has implemented a self-quarantine plan for returning international travellers under the Quarantine Act.
- The federal government will continue to use its authority under the Quarantine Act to ensure compliance with the order, enforceable by RCMP or local police
- Maximum penalties for breaking self-isolation orders include a fine of up to $750,000 and/or imprisonment for six months
All travellers, whether arriving by land or air will be required to submit their travel and contact information. This includes a suitable quarantine plan, electronically via ArriveCAN before crossing the border or boarding a flight.
Service BC will conduct compliance and wellness checks to ensure travellers can effectively maintain their 14-day self-isolation.
Travellers arriving in B.C. by air, land or sea from international locations including the United States must complete the federal ArriveCAN application.
Submit your ArriveCAN application online
People entering Canada by air can only arrive at select international airports:
- Vancouver International Airport
- Calgary International Airport
- Montreal-Trudeau International Airport
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
Before departure, the following requirements must be met by all air travellers:
- Provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test to the airline. The test must be conducted within 72 hours of scheduled boarding
- Complete the ArriveCAN application
All air travellers must reserve a room in a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost, and take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival at their own cost.
We strongly recommend reviewing the all the federal air travel requirements before travelling back to Canada. Some exemptions are in place.
Travellers entering Canada by land or water are strongly encouraged to download the ArriveCAN mobile app or submit online before they arrive at a border crossing to avoid additional delays for public health questioning and to limit points of contact at the border. You must show your ArriveCAN receipt to a border services officer.
When entering Canada, you'll be:
- Asked if you have a cough, fever or difficulty breathing
- Required to acknowledge that you must self-quarantine for 14 days
- Provide traveller contact information through the ArriveCAN application
- Required to complete testing requirements if you enter at a land border
COVID test requirements at land borders
Proof of test
All travellers are required to provide proof of COVID-19 test to the border agent. The test must be either:
- A negative COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of arrival at the border
- A positive test taken 14 to 90 days prior to arrival at the border
Some people are exempt. Review exceptions.
Test on arrival
All travellers are also required to take a COVID-19 molecular test before they enter Canada. This is in addition to the proof of test. Near the end of the 14-day quarantine, travellers must take another test.
In addition to the federal ArriveCAN Application, travellers arriving in B.C. are encouraged to complete a self-quarantine plan. Completing the plan will help you prepare to self-quarantine successfully. It's important to consider:
- The location of your 14-day self-quarantine
- How you will travel to your quarantine location
- Arranging the necessary supports:
- Child care
- Cleaning supplies
- Pet care
- Social or family support
Submit your B.C. self-quarantine plan Note: The form does not work on Internet Explorer
How to self-quarantine
The British Columbia Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) has guidelines on how to self-quarantine.
- 新型冠狀病毒(COVID 19): 如果您與家人同住，旅遊回來後如何自我隔離 (PDF)
- 新型冠状病毒(COVID 19)：如果您与家人同住，旅游回来后如何自我隔离 (PDF)
- ਕੋਵਿਡ-19: ਯਾਤਰਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਆਉਣ ਤੋਂ ਬਾਦ ਦੂਸਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਰਕ ਮੈਂਬਰਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਨੂੰ ਅਲੱਗ (self-isolate) ਕਿਵੇਂ ਰੱਖਣਾ ਹੈ? (PDF)
- कोविड -19: यात्रा से लौटने के बाद परिवार के अन्य सदस्यों के साथ रहते हुए आत्म-अलगाव (self-isolate) कैसे करें? (PDF)
- COVID 19: 가족과 함께 살 경우, 여행 후 자가격리 방법 (PDF)
- COVID 19: Cómo autoaislarse después de un viaje si vive con familiares (PDF)
- COVID 19: Paano ihiwalay ang sarili pagkatapos ng paglalakbay kapag nakatira ka kasama ang iba pang mga kapamilya (PDF)
- COVID-19 : Comment se placer en quarantaine (s’auto-isoler) à la suite d’un voyage lorsque vous vivez avec d’autres membres de votre famille (PDF)
(PDF) 19 COVID :روش قرنطینهسازی شخصی پس از سفر، در صورتی که با سایر اعضای خانواده زندگی میکنید
(PDF) کوو 19 :جب آپ گھرکے دوسرے افرادکے ساتھ رہتے ہیںتو سفرکے بعد خودکو الگ تھلگ کیسےکرنا ہے
(PDF) فيروس كوفيد 19 :كيفية العزل الذاتي بعد السفر إذا كنت تعيش مع أفراد األسرة اآلخرين