Proof of vaccination
You don't need proof of vaccination to access businesses, events or services in B.C. You may need proof of vaccination for international travel.
English | 繁體中文 | 简体中文 | Français | ਪੰਜਾਬੀ | فارسی | Tagalog | 한국어 | Español | عربى | Tiếng Việt | 日本語 | हिंदी
Last updated: February 11, 2023
On this page:
- Proof of vaccination is not required for travel in Canada
- Get your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination
- Information for businesses
- I need help
Proof of vaccination is not required for travel in Canada
You do not need proof of vaccination to:
- Enter Canada
- Travel within Canada by plane or train
- Board an international flight at a Canadian airport
Travel rules change frequently. Check federal travel guidance before you travel.
You may need proof of vaccination outside Canada
Some other countries may require you to show proof of vaccination to enter. Review entry requirements before you travel.
You need at least 2 doses of vaccine to get proof of vaccination. You should stay up to date on your vaccinations, including booster doses.
Get your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination
Proof of vaccination QR codes downloaded more than 6 months ago may not verify properly. Download a new copy of your proof of vaccination to ensure you have a valid QR code.
Your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination is available through Health Gateway. You can download proof of vaccination for you and your family, including kids under 12.
Get my proof of vaccination Proof of vaccination is free. If someone is asking you to pay, it's a scam.
Using your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination
When you show your proof of vaccination, you also need a piece of valid government photo ID.
The name on your ID must match the name on your proof of vaccination.
- If you've already legally changed your name and it's not showing on your proof of vaccination, download and print your proof of vaccination again
- If the name on your B.C. driver's licence or BC Services Card doesn't match your proof of vaccination, update your ID
- If the name on your passport doesn't match your proof of vaccination, update your passport
If you are unable to access or download your proof of vaccination, find out how to get help.
Information for businesses
Events, services and businesses aren't required to check proof of vaccination in B.C.
If you want, your business can choose to continue requiring proof of vaccination. If you decide to require proof of vaccination, you must do your own due diligence and follow all relevant laws. You can also continue to use the BC Vaccine Card Verifier app.
Scan the customer's QR code
You can use the BC Vaccine Card Verifier app to scan a customer's QR code to verify their proof of vaccination. The QR code will be on their phone or a piece of paper. You can scan:
- BC Vaccine Cards
- Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination
- QR codes from other provinces and territories (PDF, 612 KB)
A QR code is the square shaped image and is a type of bar code that can be read by a digital device. B.C. is using the SMART Health Card QR code format, a requirement of the federal government. This means the QR code only stores the absolute minimum level of information and is not connected to other health records.
The Vaccine Card Verifier app
Download the BC Vaccine Card Verifier app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. The app is free to download and works on smartphones and tablets.
- Download the app on iOS (Requires Apple iOS 11 or later)
- Download the app on Android. (Requires Android 8.1 or later)
After you've finished downloading, you can continue to use the app offline. No internet connection is required to scan QR codes. You must allow the app to access your device camera.
The QR code is a personal document. You can't take a photo of a customer's proof of vaccination, even if they consent. If a customer is concerned about privacy, you can tell them:
- The BC Vaccine Card Verifier app does not store any data
- The QR code contains the minimum information required to verify a vaccination record
- The proof of vaccination system is not connected to any other health records
I need help
If you need more information or have questions about proof of vaccination, talk to a phone agent.
Call: 1-833-838-2323Monday to Friday, 7 am to 7 pm (PDT) | Translators are available
Outside Canada and the USA: 1-604-681-4261
Telephone for the Deaf: Dial 711
Video Relay Services (VRS) sign language interpretation is free for people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired.