Youth support to quit or cut back
You may have tried vaping the first time because you and your friends thought it was safe, or "safer than." Now you’ve found that it’s starting to cause some unwelcome effects. At the same time, you are finding it hard to cut back. The fact is, the nicotine in vape juice is the same addictive substance that is in cigarettes, and it can make it hard to cut back or stop vaping.
Ask yourself, "Do I depend on vaping?"
- Vaping is impacting me and/or those around me.
- When I don’t or can’t vape, I feel irritable, restless, anxious, sad or tired.
- I can’t go for a day without vaping.
- I have thought about vaping less or quitting.
If you answered yes to any of these points, you may want to ask for help about vaping issues. Consider getting help from people who know what you’re going through, and can give you expert help that is free of cost, with no judgement and totally confidential. These are:
- Foundry BC - offers young people ages 12-24 health and wellness resources, services and supports – online and through integrated service centres in communities across BC
- VGH Smoking Cessation Clinic – offers free support to people across BC for nicotine addiction, including youth, no referral needed. Book by phone 604-875-4800 (select option 2) or email email@example.com
- QuitNow.ca – offers coaching for quitting smoking or vaping by phone, for all ages
Quitting substances, including nicotine, is easiest when you have a plan. The experts at Foundry, the Vancouver General Hospital Smoking Cessation Clinic, and QuitNow will help you plan with personalized counselling and support.
(This content provided by the Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute Legacy for Airway Health)
Here are some other resources
Counselling services to help you quit or cut back on vaping are listed above. If you are looking for other kind of help, here are some other resources
Quick Tips - Lower Risk Nicotine Use Guidelines - This resource offers practical tips to help people make informed decisions about the types of nicotine they use and the health effects associated with the different products, including smokeless tobacco (chew), water-pipes, and e-cigarettes.
HealthLink 811 Navigation Services - HealthLink BC’s health service navigators can provide you with health information, help you navigate the health care system and find health services across the province, or connect you with a registered nurse, registered dietitian, qualified exercise professional, or pharmacist.
ERASE BC: building safe and caring school communities