Highway Maintenance Contract Bid Opportunities
B.C.’s highways and bridges are maintained by private contractors in 28 service areas throughout the province.
Together, these maintenance contractors:
- Maintain more than 47,500 kilometres of highway and 2,800 structures
- Provide maintenance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Provide a broad range of services including winter maintenance, surface maintenance, drainage maintenance, roadside maintenance, traffic maintenance, bridge maintenance and highway patrol
- Are responsible for identifying, planning and prioritizing these services
- Must ensure that they provide these services in accordance with the specifications set out in the highway maintenance agreements
The value of these 28 highway maintenance agreements totals approximately $400 million annually.
Current Maintenance Contract Bid Opportunities
The procurement process for 26 of the 28 maintenance service areas throughout the province is currently underway. The Province will award contracts with a 10-year term and an optional a five-year extension, which will provide continuity of services and extended labour peace.
Interested proponents must submit a response to a request for qualifications (RFQ) in order to participate in future requests for proposals (RFPs) through 2018 and 2019. RFQs and RFPs are posted to BC Bid when made available.
- View the Qualified Respondents List (PDF)
The following anticipated timeline outlines upcoming events in the Competitive Selection Process (updated June 22, 2018):
Qualified Respondents List published from RFQ processes. The list includes Respondents that qualified in two RFQs that have closed to date, which have included qualification for Service Areas 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 23, 24, 26 and 27
|Results from the RFPs for Service Areas 2, 3 and 24||Available now|
|Highway Maintenance Agreement for Service Area 9 - Request for Proposals #HM-R6-SA09||Closed June 8, 2018|
|Highway Maintenance Agreement for Service Area 15 - Request for Proposals #HM-R6-SA15||Closed June 11, 2018|
|Highway Maintenance Agreement for Service Area 27 - Request for Proposals #HM-R6-SA27||Closed June 12, 2018|
|Highway Maintenance Agreement for Service Area 4 - Request for Proposals #HM-R6-SA04||Closed June 13, 2018|
|Highway Maintenance Agreement for Service Area 12 - Request for Proposals #HM-R6-SA12||Closes June 14, 2018|
|Request for qualifications issued for Service Areas 7, 10, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22 and 28||Mid-Late June 2018|
|Request for proposals issued for each of Service Areas 5, 6, 8, 13, 23 and 26||Mid-Late June 2018|
|Request for qualifications issued for Service Areas 1 and 25||Summer 2018|
Learn more about highway maintenance in British Columbia and the 2018/2018 Highway Maintenance Agreements:
- Draft Service Area Boundary Maps (PDF 8MB)
- Draft Maintenance Specifications (Updated March 5, 2018) (PDF 1MB)
- Contractor Assessment Program Updates (PDF)
Check the current agreements to find out when the remaining contracts expire: