Highway Maintenance Contract Bid Opportunities
Take the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
Tell us how we are doing and where we can improve
B.C.’s highways and bridges are maintained by private contractors in 28 service areas throughout the province.
Together, these maintenance contractors:
- Maintain more than 47,500 kilometres of highway and 2,800 structures
- Provide maintenance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Provide a broad range of services including winter maintenance, surface maintenance, drainage maintenance, roadside maintenance, traffic maintenance, bridge maintenance and highway patrol
- Are responsible for identifying, planning and prioritizing these services
- Must ensure that they provide these services in accordance with the specifications set out in the highway maintenance agreements
The value of these 28 highway maintenance agreements totals approximately $400 million annually.
Current Maintenance Contract Bid Opportunities
The procurement process for the Robson highway maintenance service area (Service Area 20) is currently underway. Recently, the Province awarded 26 of the 28 highway maintenance service areas throughout the province. Each contract has a 10-year term and an optional extension to provide continuity of services and extended labour peace.
Interested proponents must submit a response to a request for qualifications (RFQ) in order to participate in future requests for proposals (RFPs). RFQs and RFPs are posted to BC Bid when made available.
- View the Qualified Respondents List for Service Area 20 (PDF)
The following anticipated timeline outlines upcoming events in the Competitive Selection Process (updated May 19, 2021):
Qualified Respondents List from the first five Request for Qualifications (RFQ) processes, which have included qualification for Service Areas 1-10, 12-19 and 21-28
|Results from the RFPs for Service Areas 1-10,12-19, and 21-28||Available now|
|Qualified Respondents List from the sixth RFQ process, for Service Area 20||Available now|
|Results from the RFP for Service Area 20||Available now|
Learn more about highway maintenance in British Columbia and the 2018/2019 Highway Maintenance Agreements:
- Highway Maintenance Specifications 2018/19 (Updated February 1, 2020) (PDF 1MB)
- Contractor Assessment Program Updates (PDF)
Check the current agreements to find out when the remaining contracts expire: