Private contractors are responsible for maintaining the electrical infrastructure year-round on highways and Provincially-owned side roads in B.C. Some examples of electrical inventory maintained by the contractors include:
- Overhead lights
- Traffic and pedestrian signals
- Warning signs, railway flashers and fire signals
- Tunnel and snowshed lighting
- Speed reader boards
- Web cameras
Agreement & Specifications
There are four electrical maintenance service areas in B.C.
The existing electrical maintenance services agreements are for approximately four-year terms with a possibility of a four-year extension.
To ensure contractors are meeting their obligations their performance is monitored.
- Read the Electrical Maintenance Service Agreement to find out the contractor’s obligations
- Read the Quality Plan to find out how performance is monitored (PDF)
Recent Request for Proposals
An RFP for electrical maintenance services for the Vancouver Island service area was issued on BC Bid on 1 November 2019 and closed 20 November 2019 (RFP #ELEC-SAVI-R3). Raylec Power LP by its general partner Raylec Power Ltd was selected as the Preferred Proponent for the Vancouver Island service area as a result of that RFP.
Procurement Information Session
Two Electrical Maintenance Contract Procurement Information Sessions have been held.