Hwy 91/17 and Deltaport Way - Construction and Traffic Updates
Stay up-to-date with the construction and traffic updates for the Highway 91/17 and Deltaport Way project.
Updated: December 3, 2021
On this page:
- Highway 91C/Highway 17
- Highway 17/River Road
- Highway 91C/Weigh Scale
- Highway 91/Nordel Way Interchange Improvements
- Guide Sign Installation
Bridge construction over Highway 17 adjacent to the intersection of Highway 91C and Highway 17 is currently underway and is scheduled to be completed in July 2022. The columns for the east side of the new structure have been poured and work is underway to construct the abutment walls on both sides of the future bridge. This month, work will begin on the columns for the west side of the structure.
As part of construction for the future Highway 91C/Highway 17 Interchange, the following roadway changes are required:
- Temporary shift on Highway 91C westbound to access both 96 Street and River Road and Highway 17 westbound is in effect. Please note, the eastbound and westbound lanes of Highway 91C are temporarily split, with an active work zone in the middle.
- Intermittent nighttime lane closures on Highway 91C (eastbound/westbound) are ongoing through spring 2022, scheduled on Sunday through Friday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and Saturday from approximately 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Temporary lane closures and minor stoppages on 96 Street between Highway 91C and River Road intermittent though to summer 2022. The overnight lane closures and minor stoppages of up to two minutes on 96 Street, north of Highway 17 will take place from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Temporary lane shift of Highway 91C between Highway 17 and Nordel Way through to fall, 2022 (final alignment opening). The posted speed limit is reduced from 60 km/h to 50 km/h.
- Temporary lane closures and minor stoppages on Highway 17 and Highway 91C (eastbound/westbound), and on 96 Street, in the vicinity of the Highway 17/Highway91C/96 Street intersection, intermittent until winter 2022. Lane closures and minor stoppages are scheduled on Sunday through Friday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and Saturday from approximately 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Temporary full closure of Highway 17 in both directions (eastbound and westbound) near the new Interchange connecting Highway 17 and River Road is expected to take place in late January 2022 over 3 to 4 nighttime shifts from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. to allow for girder installation work.
- Highway 17 eastbound: use the Highway 91 Connector to access Nordel Way and the CVSE Weigh Scale, turn around to continue along the Highway 91 Connector westbound and take the on-ramp to access Highway 17 eastbound.
- Highway 17 westbound: exit at River Road to access the roundabout and continue along River Road west to 80 Street intersection and Highway 17.
- River Road eastbound: use the roundabout and continue to River Road westbound and 80 Street to access Highway 17
- Permanent closure of 96 Street south of the BNSF Railway Crossing 96 Street south of the BNSF Railway Crossing will be permanently closed to traffic on December 3, 2021 to allow for construction of the new interchange at Highway 17 and Highway 91 Connector. 96 Street, north of the BNSF railway, will remain open for local traffic. A new cul-de-sac will be installed by summer 2022 south of the BNSF railway. Please see Map A below for location details.
The Highway 17 and River Road interchange will open to traffic on December 3, 2021. This represents a key milestone in the Highway 91/17 Upgrade Project with the completion of the first of four interchanges. The new Highway 17 and River Road interchange will improve the connection to and from River Road and eliminate the need for an at-grade rail crossing to access Highway 17. Please see Map A for location details.
- New River Road overpass on Highway 17 is open to traffic.
- New final alignment of the roundabout between River Road and Highway 17 (three of five movements) is now open. All movements are expected to be open to traffic on December 3, 2021. Please note, traffic will exit Highway 17 at this location and travel within the roundabout to access River Road and 96 Street.
- Temporary traffic lights on Highway 17 westbound near the overpass, and on the River Road to Highway 17 westbound on-ramp, from December 3, 2021 until spring 2022.
In order to facilitate ongoing construction activities, the following roadway changes are currently in place:
- Temporary single lane alternating traffic and lane closures on River Road, east of the new River Road roundabout is ongoing, Monday to Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Intermittent evening shifts are expected between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.
Intermittent nighttime lane closures on River Road, east of 96 Street (prior to the River Rd roundabout) are in effect from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. until January 2022.
Intermittent shoulder closures and minor stoppages of up to 2 minutes on River Road, west of the River Road roundabout from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. until spring 2022
- Intermittent nighttime lane closures on Highway 17 westbound are ongoing through November 2022, on Sunday to Thursday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., Friday from approximately 8 p.m. to 7 a.m., and Saturday to Sunday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 10 a.m. During the closures, a minimum of one lane on Highway 17 westbound will remain open to traffic.
- Intermittent nighttime lane closures, single lane alternating traffic and minor stoppages of up to two minutes at the River Road/96 Street intersection, expected until spring 2022.
- Temporary traffic light in place on Highway 17 westbound near the overpass, and on the River Road to Highway 17 westbound on-ramp, expected to be functioning late December 3, 2021 until spring 2022.
- Temporary roadside barrier shift on Highway 17 eastbound which temporarily reduces a section of the shoulder on Highway 17 eastbound from 2.5 meters to 0.5 meters (see Map D below for location details).
- The roadside barrier shift is now in place through to summer 2022.
- A 2-metre paved cyclist path is maintained (see Map D below)
- Full closure of the offramp from Highway 17 westbound to River Road over two night shifts from December 6 and 7, 2021 from 1 a.m. to 4 a.m. Please see Map B for location details.
- During this time, Highway 17 westbound traffic connecting to River Road and 96 Street will continue along Highway 17 westbound to exit at the 80th Street intersection and continue to River Road east.
- Single lane alternating traffic will be in place on the roadway located underneath the River Road overpass linking the River Road roundabout to the new teardrop movement from December 6 and 7, 2021 from 1 a.m. to 4 a.m.
- Nighttime stoppages of up to 20 minutes on Highway 17 westbound over three night shifts, expected to take place from December 10, 11 and 13, 2021 from 1:00 a.m. to 4 a.m. Please see Map C for location details.
- Highway 17 westbound traffic connecting to River Road and 96 Street during the stoppage period will continue along Highway 17 westbound to exit at the 80th intersection and continue to River Road east.
- Nighttime temporary single lane alternating traffic near the River Road roundabout and the new River Road overpass expected to take place from December 8 to 10, 2021 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Map B: Full closure of the offramp from Highway 17 westbound to River Road
Map C: Nighttime stoppages of up to 20 minutes on Highway 17 westbound
A new interchange is being constructed at Highway 91C/Nordel Way/Weigh Scale to replace a signalized intersection. In order to facilitate ongoing construction-related activities, the following roadway changes are in effect:
- Intermittent nighttime lane and shoulder closures on Nordel Way at Highway 91C, ongoing through summer 2022 for both northbound and southbound lanes. This is in effect northbound on Sunday to Thursday from approximately 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and Friday and Saturday, from approximately 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., and southbound, Sunday to Thursday from approximately 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. and Friday and Saturday from approximately 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. The existing bus lane on Nordel Way will not be affected by this work.
- Intermittent left turn lane closure on Weigh Scale Road is in place nightly from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. through summer 2022. Please view Map D for more details.
- Temporary west sidewalk closure between Weigh Scale Road and River Way is in place on a 24/7 basis through 2021. The east sidewalk will remain open to pedestrians. Please view Map G for more details.
- Nordel Way truck parking area temporary relocation to 10008-10022 River Road, Delta, BC. Please note, this will be in effect through August 2022. Highway 91C/Nordel Way intersection realignment is currently in place to prevent road users from entering the temporarily relocated Nordel Way Truck Parking Area, and to facilitate the construction of the future Highway 91C/Weigh Scale Interchange.
Map D: Nighttime lane closures and sidewalk closures on Nordel Way and Weigh Scale Road
In preparation for the new Nordel Way eastbound crossing over Highway 91, the following roadway changes are in place. Please see Map E for more details.
- Intermittent nighttime lane and shoulder closures on Highway 91 southbound and the Highway 91 southbound off-ramp to Nordel Way eastbound are ongoing through summer 2022, Sunday through Friday, between approximately 9 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., and Saturday from approximately 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. on the Highway, and Sunday through Friday approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the ramp. While the closures are in effect, two lanes on Highway 91 southbound and one lane on the off-ramp will remain open to traffic.
- Intermittent nighttime lane closures on Highway 91 northbound at the Nordel Way/Highway 91 Interchange as required, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. During the closures, one lane on Highway 91 northbound will remain open to traffic.
- Intermittent nightly shoulder closure starting on the Highway 91 southbound offramp to Nordel Way westbound from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. through to summer 2022.
- Intermittent nighttime minor stoppages, less than two minutes, at the Nordel Way on ramp to Highway 91 southbound through wo summer 2022, Sunday through Friday from approximately 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Intermittent nighttime shoulder closures on the Nordel Way on ramp to Highway 91 southbound, ongoing through fall 2022.
- Temporary lane shift of the Highway 91 southbound on-ramp from Nordel Way, Highway 91 southbound and the Highway 91 southbound to Nordel Way eastbound off-ramp until fall 2022.
- Temporary off-ramp closure on Highway 91 northbound to Nordel Way eastbound until fall 2022. All Highway 91 northbound traffic bound for Nordel Way eastbound and westbound are temporarily using the same ramp.
- Lane shift from the temporary detour onto a new alignment from Nordel Way to access Highway 91 is in place on a 24/7 basis. Please see Map I below for location details.
Map E: Highway 91/Nordel Way Interchange (various ongoing activities)
Work to install the base foundation for 61 new wayfinding signs, along with guide sign and panel installation, will continue intermittently throughout the duration of the project at various locations. Please see Map F for more details.
- The schedule for pile driving activities will be from approximately 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday to Friday. In addition, there will be night shifts as required from 6:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m., Saturday to Friday.
- There may be an increase of noise in the area while this work is underway.
- Equipment for this work may include a small crane, excavator, low impact vibratory hammer, pile driving hammer, construction lighting and construction vehicles.