Hwy 91/17 and Deltaport Way - Construction and Traffic Updates
Stay up-to-date with the construction and traffic updates for the Highway 91/17 and Deltaport Way project.
Updated: August 25, 2021
On this page:
- Highway 91C/Highway 17
- Highway 17/River Road
- Highway 91C/Weigh Scale
- Highway 91/Nordel Way Interchange Improvements
- Upcoming Construction Activities
Pacific Gateway Constructors is the design-build contractor retained by the Province of British Columbia to construct the Highway 91/17 Upgrade Project (Project). The Project began in spring 2020 and is anticipated to be complete in early 2023. The Project is designed to improve travel safety, reliability and efficiency on Highway 91, Highway 17 and the Highway 91 Connector in Delta, BC.
Construction-related activities for the Highway 91/17 Upgrade Project include excavation, underground utilities relocation and ground improvements such as fill placement, embankment construction and the installation of stone columns, drilled shafts and piles in the Project area. Other activities include construction of Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) retaining walls, cast in place concrete work and roadworks e.g., aggregate base, asphalt and barrier placement, and line painting. Construction activities take place during the day when feasible; however, to ensure the safety of the travelling public, some work is required to take place at night when traffic volumes are lower.
Traffic Notifications for Highway 91/17 Upgrade Project
Construction is currently underway to stabilize surface soil and continue with road works in preparation for the future Highway 91C/Highway 17 Interchange. As a result of this work, various roadway changes are required including the following activities:
- New access to Highway 17 eastbound from Highway 91C is in place. Highway 91C westbound traffic will access Highway 17 eastbound approximately 300m in advance of the existing intersection. Please view Map A for more details.
- Temporary shift on Highway 91C westbound to access both 96 Street and River Road and Highway 17 westbound is in effect. Please note, the eastbound and westbound lanes of Highway 91C are temporarily split, with an active work zone in the middle.
- Temporary nighttime minor stoppages on Highway 91C (eastbound) between Highway 91 and Highway 17 are ongoing, scheduled on Sunday through Friday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and Saturday from approximately 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Temporary nighttime lane closures on Highway 91C (eastbound/westbound) are ongoing through January 2022, scheduled on Sunday through Friday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and Saturday from approximately 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Temporary lane closures and minor stoppages on 96th Street between Highway 91C and River Road intermittent until Fall, 2021. The overnight lane closures and minor stoppages of up to two minutes on 96 Street, north of Highway 17 will take place from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Temporary lane shift of Highway 91C between Highway 17 and Nordel Way through to Fall, 2022 (final alignment opening). The posted speed limit is reduced from 60 km/h to 50 km/h.
- Temporary lane closures and minor stoppages on Highway 17 and Highway 91C (eastbound/westbound), and on 96 Street, in the vicinity of the Highway 17/Highway91C/96 Street intersection, intermittent until December 2021. Lane closures and minor stoppages are scheduled on Sunday through Friday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and Saturday from approximately 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
The yellow lines reflect westbound traffic patterns from Highway 91C as a result of the new Highway 91C westbound exit to Highway 17 eastbound.
Map A: New access to Highway 17 eastbound from Highway 91C
A new overpass structure is being constructed as part of the future Highway 17/River Road Interchange. In order to facilitate ongoing construction activities, the following roadway changes are currently in place:
- New exit from Highway 17 westbound to River Road and 96 Street is now open. The right turn lane from Highway 17 westbound onto 96 Street is permanently closed. The new exit is approximately 500 meters in advance of the Highway 91C/Highway 17 intersection. Please view Map B for more details.
- Temporary single lane alternating traffic and lane closures on River Road, east of the new River Road roundabout is ongoing, Monday to Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Intermittent evening shifts are expected between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Temporary lane closures on River Road between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. will be ongoing until Fall 2021.
- Truck turnaround on River Road approximately 10 metres west of the original paved turnaround. Please view Map C for more details. Note, the truck turnaround will be closed for 3 days in early September 2021. Please use River Road roundabout as a U-turn route.
- Full closure of the “jug handle” turn around on River Road/Frontage Road, located just east of the new roundabout on River Road for three full days (24 hours/day) in early September 2021. The new River Road roundabout will used as the U-turn route for vehicles returning to River Road.
- Temporary nighttime lane closures on Highway 17 eastbound, are ongoing through December 2021, on Sunday to Thursday, at approximately 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., Friday from approximately 8 p.m. to 9 a.m., and Saturday to Sunday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 10 a.m. During the closure, a minimum of one lane on Highway 17 eastbound will remain open to traffic.
- Temporary nighttime lane closures on Highway 17 westbound are ongoing through December 2021, on Sunday to Thursday, at approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., Friday from approximately 8 p.m. to 7 a.m., and Saturday to Sunday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 10 a.m. During the closures, a minimum of one lane on Highway 17 westbound will remain open to traffic.
- Temporary realignment of Highway 17 east of the Highway 17 / Highway 91C / 96 Street intersection is in effect through Fall 2021. Please note, the posted speed limit has been reduced from 80 km/h to 50 km/h.
- New River Road overpass on Highway 17 is scheduled to be open to traffic starting in September 2021. Please view Map D & E for more details.
- We will be shifting traffic in two stages from the temporary existing detour onto Highway 17 at its final configuration starting in September 2021.
- Phase 1: Planned for September 9, 2021, westbound traffic will shift onto the permanent alignment, while eastbound traffic continues to use the temporary detour.
- Phase 2: Planned for September 20, 2021, all traffic will travel on the permanent alignment. The temporary detour will be closed to begin construction of the eastern section of the Highway 17/River Road interchange.
- Ongoing overnight lane closures on Highway 17 in both directions will continue intermittently from September 12 – 16, 2021 scheduled on Sunday through Friday, from approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and Saturday from approximately 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Temporary fast lane closure on Highway 17 in both directions expected to take place over one weekend shift from September 17 – 20, 2021 starting at 8:00 p.m. on Friday and ending at 5:00 a.m. on Monday.
- Road signs will be in place to direct traffic.
- New final alignment of the roundabout between River Road and Highway 17 (three of five movements) is now open. Four of five movements will be open in fall 2021, and all movements will be open to traffic late 2021. Please note, traffic will exit Highway 17 at this location and travel within the roundabout to access River Road and 96 Street. Please see Map F for more details.
- Overnight temporary cyclist detour on River Road just east of 96 Street for one evening, anticipated to take place on August 29, 2021, from 10:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.
- Cyclists will use a portion of the River Road roundabout as a temporary detour during that time period.
- Signs will be in place to direct cyclists.
Map B: New exit from Highway 17 westbound to River Road and 96 Street
Map C: Truck Turnaround on River Road
Map D: Truck Turnaround on River Road (Phase 1)
Map E: New River Road overpass on Highway 17 (Phase 2)
Map F: New Roundabout movements west of River Road
A new interchange is being constructed at Highway 91C/Nordel Way/Weigh Scale to replace a signalized intersection. In order to facilitate ongoing construction-related activities, the following roadway changes are in effect:
- Temporary nighttime lane and shoulder closures on Nordel Way at Highway 91C, ongoing through Fall 2021 for both northbound and southbound lanes. This is in effect northbound on Sunday to Thursday from approximately 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and Friday and Saturday, from approximately 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., and southbound, Sunday to Thursday from approximately 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. and Friday and Saturday from approximately 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. The existing bus lane on Nordel Way will not be impacted by this work.
- Temporary left turn lane closure on Weigh Scale Road is in place nightly from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. until Fall 2021. Please view Map H for more details.
- Temporary west sidewalk closure between Weigh Scale Road and River Way is in place on a 24/7 basis until fall 2021. The east sidewalk will remain open to pedestrians. Please view Map G for more details.
- Nordel Way truck parking area temporary relocation to 10008-10022 River Road, Delta, BC. Please note, this will be in effect through February 2022. Please see Map H for more details.
- Highway 91C/Nordel Way intersection realignment is currently in place to prevent road users from entering the temporarily relocated Nordel Way Truck Parking Area, and to facilitate the construction of the future Highway 91C/Weigh Scale Interchange.
Map G: Nighttime lane closures and sidewalk closures on Nordel Way and Weigh Scale Road
Map H: Nordel Way Truck Parking Area Temporary Relocation
In preparation for the new Nordel Way eastbound crossing over Highway 91 and to facilitate construction-related activities, the following roadway changes are in place:
- Temporary nighttime lane and shoulder closures on Highway 91 southbound and the Highway 91 southbound off ramp to Nordel Way eastbound are ongoing through to the end of August 2021, on Sunday through Friday, between approximately 9 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., on Saturday from approximately 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. on the Highway, and Sunday through Friday approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the ramp. At this time, two lanes on Highway 91 southbound and one lane on the off ramp will remain open to road users during the closures.
- Temporary nighttime lane closures on Highway 91 northbound at the Nordel Way/Highway 91 Interchange as required, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. During the closures, one lane on Highway 91 northbound will remain open to traffic.
- Temporary nightly shoulder closure starting on the Highway 91 southbound offramp to Nordel Way westbound from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. is ongoing until fall 2021.
- Temporary nighttime minor stoppages less than two minutes in length at the Nordel Way on ramp to Highway 91 southbound are ongoing through Fall 2021, Sunday through Friday from approximately 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Temporary nighttime shoulder closures on the Nordel Way on ramp to Highway 91 southbound, ongoing through Fall 2021.
- Temporary intermittent nighttime lane closures on Highway 91 northbound at the Nordel Way/Highway 91 Interchange as required through Fall 2021. During these closures, one lane on Highway 91 northbound will remain open to traffic.
- Temporary lane shift of the Highway 91 southbound on ramp from Nordel Way, Highway 91 southbound and the Highway 91 southbound to Nordel Way eastbound off ramp from their current alignment until Fall 2022.
- Temporary off ramp closure on Highway 91 northbound to Nordel Way eastbound until Fall 2022. All Highway 91 northbound traffic bound for Nordel Way eastbound and westbound are temporarily using the same ramp.
Highway 91/Nordel Way Interchange (various activities)
Tunnel Boring Work
Tunnel boring work underneath Highway 91 is anticipated to start during the week of September 13, 2021, and will take approximately two weeks to complete. Work hours are Monday to Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tunnel boring will be used to install the storm pipe (no anticipated noise impacts). If pile driving is required, subject to ground conditions, some additional construction noise is anticipated. No traffic impacts are anticipated as part of this work; however, there is an ongoing overnight lane closure on the Hwy 91/Nordel Way Interchange on/off ramp. Please see map below for location.
The approximate location of the boring activity is marked red.
Major Construction Works for River Road Interchange
Construction activities for the future River Road Interchange connecting to Highway 17, including the new River Road Connector Road and ramps to/from Highway 17 are scheduled to begin in early September 2021. Please see the map below for location details.
What to expect:
- Major construction works are anticipated to start September 10, 2021, and will continue intermittently until late November 2021.
- General work hours are as follows:
- Dayshift: Monday to Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Nightshift (as required): Sunday to Friday, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Various construction activities including detour decommission, preload removal and hauling, excavation, utility installations, general road work and other miscellaneous activities.
- There may be an increase of noise as a result of this work. Crews will apply noise mitigation where feasible.
- Temporary nighttime lane closures and minor stoppages on Highway 91C and Highway 17 (eastbound/westbound) in the vicinity of the Highway 91/Highway 17/96 Street intersection will be ongoing, Sunday through Friday from approximately 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and Saturday from approximately 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Traffic control personnel will be in place, as required, to safely direct road users around the active work areas
Road users are requested to please use caution while travelling in these areas, and obey road and construction signs, posted speed limits and traffic control personnel.
Pile Driving Activities
Work to install the base foundation for new wayfinding signs will continue intermittently into fall 2021.
What to expect:
- The schedule for pile driving activities for the foundation will be from approximately 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., from Monday to Friday.
- Pile driving activities will take place at each of the following locations (see corresponding images below):
- Figure 1 – One pile will be installed on River Road near the Cedar Mill (one to two days total scheduled in mid-September 2021).
- Figure 2 – One pile will be installed on Highway 17 westbound, on a service road between Terrace Drive and Arpe Road (one to two days total scheduled in mid-September 2021).
- A lane closure on Highway 17 westbound is required to safely carry out the work associated with Figure 2. A separate traffic notice will be issued once the plan has been finalized.
- There may be an increase of noise in the area while this work is underway. Crews will apply noise mitigation where feasible and limit this work to daytime only.
- Equipment for this work includes a small crane, excavator, and construction vehicles.
- Traffic control personnel will be in place, as required, to safely direct road users around the active work areas.
The work plan is subject to change based on changing road and weather conditions and necessary changes to the project construction schedule. Please follow DriveBC for the latest traffic information.
Figure 1 - work area is marked by yellow dot
Figure 2 - work area is marked by yellow dot