Overdue mineral taxes
If you don’t pay your mineral taxes, we may begin collection action that could affect your credit rating. Collection action may include:
- Demands on bank accounts
- Garnishee amounts from employers and third parties
- Liens on property
- Certificates of judgement
- Writs of seizure and sale
We’ll remove all collection action if:
- You've paid your account in full, or
- The assessment of tax is reversed because of an appeal
If you don’t file your tax return by the due date, you’ll be charged a penalty of:
- $25 per day, to a maximum of $2500, and
- 5% of the taxes owing
You pay compound interest on all overdue balances based on the current interest rate. For late instalment payments, or instalment payments less than the amount owed, you’ll be charged interest from the date the instalment was due.
Note: Interest was not charged on any outstanding balances from March 24 to September 20, 2020.