2019 Update: Provincial Strategic Threat Analysis (PSTA)
The 2019 Provincial Strategic Threat Analysis is designed to consistently assess and map potential wildfire threats to values across the landscape (including communities, infrastructure and natural resources) and to integrate different aspects of wildfire hazard and risk. In this context, “values” refer to natural resources or man-made structures or features that have a measurable or intrinsic worth and could be negatively impacted by wildfires. The 2019 analysis is an update of the 2017 Provincial Strategic Threat Analysis Wildfire Threat Analysis Component.
The 2019 Provincial Strategic Threat Analysis offers local governments, private landowners, industry and other stakeholders an opportunity to review the threat ratings in their areas of interest, assess how much fire prevention work has been done in those areas (e.g. FireSmart activities or fuel management treatments) and determine what additional steps they could take to safeguard their interests.
The 2019 Provincial Strategic Threat Analysis can aid resource managers and proponents in viewing land management activities through a “fire management lens”, where the objectives may include: reducing damage from wildfires; improving the effectiveness and cost efficiency of wildfire suppression; and making ecosystems and communities more fire-resilient. When combined with wildland-urban interface information, the analysis help can identify priority areas and communities of interest for further review.
- 2019 Provincial Strategic Threat Analysis
- 2019 PSTA – Fire Density Map
- 2019 PSTA – Fuel Type Map
- 2019 PSTA – Human Fire Density Map
- 2019 PSTA – Lightning Fire Density Map
- 2019 PSTA – Spotting Impact Map
- 2019 PSTA – Threat Rating Map
- 2019 PSTA – WUI Threat Rating Map
B.C. Provincial Fuel Type Layer Overview (Updated 2019)
- 2019 BC Provincial Fuel Type Layer Overview (PDF, 6.5 MB)
- 2019 Fuels Overview Map – Provincial (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- 2019 Fuels Overview Map - Cariboo (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- 2019 Fuels Overview Map - Coastal (PDF, 987 KB)
- 2019 Fuels Overview Map - Kamloops (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- 2019 Fuels Overview Map - Northwest (PDF, 906 KB)
- 2019 Fuels Overview Map - Prince George (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- 2019 Fuels Overview Map - Southeast (PDF, 2.8 MB)
2017 PSTA Data
The 2017 Provincial Strategic Threat Analysis files are still available to download at the link below.