What if I need to get a court order right away for something like a Protection Order?

On May 17, 2021, the new Provincial Court Family Rules and forms were implemented. 

Surrey and Victoria are the only court locations using early resolution (designated as Early Resolution Registries). Other locations may be designated in the future.

The Provincial Court Family Rules include processes for seeking protection orders or orders for priority parenting matters on a time sensitive basis. These issues will not use the early resolution process.

A judge will hear those matters first. If there are outstanding family law matters, families will be referred to the early resolution process to address those issues.

In addition to protection orders and priority parenting matters, the other applications that do not require early assessment, parenting education or consensual dispute resolution are:

  • Relocation
  • Consent order
  • Enforcement
  • Case management

The Surrey or Victoria Justice Access Centre can help a person identify their needs, get referrals to community resources and get help with the paperwork to file an application for a court order.