Where can I find more information about spousal support?

Family Law in British Columbia – Legal Services Society

Spousal support on the Legal Services Society's Family Law in BC answers a range of questions, including:

  • When should spousal support be paid?
  • How do I apply for spousal support?
  • What’s involved in providing financial information (disclosure)?

Other Online Information

Clicklaw – Courthouse Libraries BC

Clicklaw provides user friendly, searchable access to key legal information, including information about spousal support. On the home page (“Solve Problems”), go to “Your Family” and select family law.

Clicklaw’s HelpMap can help you locate services that can assist with family law problems.

Clicklaw also links you to information in other languages.

Dial-A-Law – Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch

Dial-A-Law is a library of scripts prepared by lawyers. It is a service of the Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch. It offers information on family law topics including spousal support.

To read or listen on the Internet, go to the Dial-A-Law website and select family law.

In-person Information and Services

Ministry of Social Development

Are you eligible for B.C. Employment and Assistance and have the right to receive spousal support? If so, you “assign” your maintenance (support) rights to the B.C. government. The government takes over the responsibility to obtain, change and enforce the support order on your behalf. To speak to a Family Maintenance Worker, contact the Ministry of Social Development by calling 1 866-866-0800 (call no charge).

For other in-person services, see Who Can Help?