Information You Must Report to a Sex Offender Registry

When you report to a registration centre, you must be able to show valid identification with at least one piece having a photo of you on it. Examples of acceptable forms of picture identification include a:

You must give staff at the registration centre the following personal information:

  • Your given name, surname and all aliases (nicknames)
  • Your birth date and gender
  • The address and telephone number of the place you live most of the time (your main residence) as well as any other place you live (secondary residence)
  • The name, address or location and phone number of every place you are employed or volunteer, the name of your employer or the person for whom you volunteer, and the type of work you do there
  • The address or location of every educational institution where you are enrolled
  • The number of every mobile telephone or pager you possess
  • Your height and weight and a description of all your physical distinguishing marks (for example, scars, piercings or tattoos)
  • The licence plate number, make, model, body type, year of manufacture and colour of motor vehicles registered in your name or which you use regularly
  • When and where you were convicted of the offence(s) for which you are obligated to register, or
  • When and where you were found not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder of the offence(s) for which you are obligated you to register.

Staff at the registration centre will take your photo and you may be fingerprinted.

If you are under 18, you have the right to have an adult with you when you report to the registration centre.

If you have other conditions as part of your sentence, such as reporting to your probation officer, you must still do these things.

Members of the Armed Forces

If you are an officer or a non-commissioned officer in the Canadian Armed Forces as defined by subsection 2 (1) of the National Defence Act you must provide the registration centre with the address and telephone number of your unit.

Offences and Penalties

If you do not follow your obligations or if you knowingly provide false or misleading information to the registration centre, you may be found guilty of an offence under the Criminal Code. You could be fined up to $10,000, go to jail for up to 2 years or both.


In order to travel, you must provide a completed Absence Notification to your registration centre or the B.C. Sex Offender Information Registration Centre.