Dispute a Provincial Violation Ticket

You have the option to dispute your ticket if you:

  • don’t think you should have been given a ticket
  • don’t agree with the amount of the fine
  • want to request more time to pay your ticket

A Provincial Violation Ticket must be disputed within 30 days of receiving it.

By Mail

Step 1: Download a Notice of Dispute form or pick up a form at the court registry or driver licensing office.

Or, following the Notice of Dispute instructions on the back of your violation ticket, enclose a copy of the front of the ticket with a note (see Step 2).

If you can’t download a form, or enclose a copy of your ticket, include the following information in a note:

  • The violation ticket number (located on the top right corner on the front of the ticket)
  • Your full name, address, driver’s licence number and date of birth
  • The violation date, plus the name of the act and section number of the charge(s), as listed on the front of the violation ticket

Step 2: Complete the Notice of Dispute form (you do not need to send in a copy of your ticket for this option). To request a reduction in the fine amount, or more time to pay, you must download and complete an additional form, Violation Ticket Statement and Written Reasons.

If submitting a note, remember to indicate whether you’re disputing the charge(s).

If you are applying to reduce the fine, or want more time to pay, you must not dispute the charge, but include in your note the reasons why your request should be considered.

If you are disputing the charge, do not include evidence, such as videos or pictures, with your notice of dispute. Evidence can only be presented at the hearing.

Step 3: Mail your paperwork to:

Ticket Dispute Processing
Bag 3510
Victoria, B.C. V8W 3P7

In Person

You or someone on your behalf can register a dispute at any of the following locations – just be sure to bring a copy of the ticket:

What Happens Next

  • If you are disputing the charge, you will be required to attend a hearing. A Notice of Hearing will be mailed to you – it will have the date, time and location of your hearing.
  • If you are requesting a reduction in the amount of the fine, or time to pay, you will be notified in writing of the Court's decision.

If you move after filing your dispute, you must complete a violation ticket change of address form and either mail or deliver it in person to the applicable court registry.

If you do not provide your new mailing address, you will not receive the Notice of Hearing and may be deemed to have pleaded guilty to the described offences.

Disputing a Ticket After 30 Days

If, through no fault of your own, you are unable to file a Notice of Dispute within 30 days, follow these steps to request an extension:

  • Complete an affidavit form (also available at any court registry)
  • Bring the form and your ticket to the nearest court registry
  • Have your affidavit notarized (affidavits can be notarized by any commissioner for taking oaths, such as a notary public, or at a court registry for a $15 fee –contact a court registry for more information)
  • Complete a Notice of Dispute
  • File your affidavit

The court registry will notify you by mail of the Court's decision. The dispute will not be registered unless the application is granted.

If your application is denied, the ticketed amount is due and payable immediately.

Unable to Attend a Hearing

You must appear in person in court or at your remote hearing on the scheduled hearing date or have an agent (family member or friend) or legal counsel appear on your behalf.  

Keep in mind that an agent or legal counsel cannot give evidence on your behalf.  An agent or legal counsel can, however, enter a plea, cross-examine any Crown witness and make submissions on your behalf.

If you cannot attend the hearing in any capacity, there are two options for changing the date and time:

If you don’t appear in court or remotely on the hearing date and do not file an affidavit, the full ticketed amount will become due and payable immediately.