Dispute a federal contravention violation ticket

You have the option to dispute your ticket if you:

  • don’t think you should have been given a ticket
  • don’t agree with the amount of the fine; or
  • want to request more time to pay your ticket

A federal contravention violation ticket must be disputed within 30 days of receiving it.

By mail

Step 1: Download a blank Notice of Dispute form or pick up a form at the court registry or driver licensing office.

Or, following the Notice of Dispute instructions on the back of your violation ticket, enclose a copy of the front of the ticket with a note (see Step 2).

If you can’t download a form, or enclose a copy of your ticket, include the following information in a note:

  • The violation ticket number (located on the top right corner on the front of the ticket)
  • Your full name, address, driver’s licence number and date of birth
  • The violation date, plus the name of the act and section number of the charge(s), as listed on the front of the violation ticket

Step 2: Complete the Notice of Dispute form (you do not need to send in a copy of your ticket for this option). To request a reduction in the fine amount, or more time to pay, you must download and complete an additional form, Federal contraventions violation ticket statement and written reasons.

If submitting a note, remember to indicate whether you’re disputing the charge(s).

If you are applying to reduce the fine, or want more time to pay, you must plead guilty and include written reasons as to why the requests should be accommodated. Do not include a defence of the contravention.

Do not include evidence, such as videos or pictures, with your notice of dispute. Evidence can only be brought to a hearing.

Step 3: Indicate your preferred language (English or French) - this will determine the language used at your hearing.

Step 4: Mail your paperwork to:

Ticket Dispute Processing
Bag 3510
Victoria, B.C.  V8W 3P7

In person

You or someone on your behalf can register a dispute at any of the following locations - just be sure to bring a copy of the ticket:

What happens next

  • If you are disputing the reason why the ticket was issued, you will be required to attend a hearing to defend your claim. A Notice of Hearing will be mailed to you - it will have the date, time and location of your hearing.
  • If you are requesting a reduction in the amount of the fine, or asking for more time to pay, a judge will review your documents, along with any opposing written statement from Crown counsel, and the final decision will be mailed to you.

If you move, you must complete a violation ticket change of address form and either mail or deliver it in person to the applicable court registry.

If you do not advise the courts of your new mailing address, you will not receive the Notice of Hearing and may be deemed to have pleaded guilty to the contravention.

Disputing a ticket after 30 days

If, through no fault of your own, you are unable to file a Notice of Dispute within 30 days, follow these steps to request an extension:

  • Complete an affidavit form (also available at any court registry)
  • Bring the form and your ticket to the nearest court registry
  • Have your affidavit notarized (affidavits can be notarized by any commissioner for taking oaths, such as a notary public, or at a court registry for a $15 fee - contact a court registry for more information)
  • File your affidavit

Keep in mind this is a request – affidavits may be rejected.

If your request for an extension of time to dispute is granted, the court registry will allow you to file a Notice of Dispute and set a date for your court hearing.

If your request is denied, your deemed conviction will stand and the ticketed amount is due and payable immediately.

Unable to attend a hearing

There are two options for changing a hearing date:

  • Request an adjournment (delay) of the hearing if you cannot appear on the date of the hearing
  • File an affidavit to request a new hearing date if, through no fault of your own, you missed the original hearing date

Find out how to change your hearing date:

If you don’t appear in court on the hearing date, your ticket will be treated as not disputed and you will be deemed guilty. The full ticketed amount will become due and payable immediately.