BC Hydrogen Office
Last updated: October 31, 2023
- Initial project concepts and investment facilitation for companies
- Regional hydrogen hub development
- Coordination of regulatory, permitting, and environment requirements
- Hydrogen policy and enabling frameworks
- Indigenous participation
Read the news release to learn more.
Role of hydrogen in British Columbia
Hydrogen will be necessary for B.C. to achieve net-zero by 2050. Hydrogen will play a key role in reducing emissions across a wide range of sectors in B.C., including:
- Medium and heavy-duty transportation
- Industry and refining
- Displacing natural gas
- Displacing diesel used for electricity generation in remote communities
B.C. has several advantages for producing low-carbon hydrogen. More than 98% of electricity generated in the province is clean or renewable. This means B.C. has a significant opportunity to produce clean hydrogen from electrolysis.
B.C. is also home to abundant natural gas reserves and significant geological carbon storage capacity. These are necessary for producing low-carbon hydrogen from natural gas. With these attributes, B.C. can supply the growing global demand for low-carbon hydrogen.
B.C. Hydrogen Strategy
The B.C. Hydrogen Strategy is our plan to become a leading hydrogen economy. The strategy outlines government’s actions to accelerate the development of B.C.’s hydrogen sector. This will create economic opportunities throughout the province. It will also help reduce emissions and overcome our reliance on fossil fuels.
- B.C. Hydrogen Strategy - Executive Summary (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Download the B.C. Hydrogen Strategy (PDF, 1.4MB)
B.C. Hydrogen Regulatory Mapping Study (2023)
Carbon Intensity of Hydrogen Production Methods Report (2023)
Northeast B.C. Geological Carbon Capture and Storage Atlas (2023)
B.C. Hydrogen Study (2019)
- Executive Summary (PDF, 9.5MB)
- B.C. Hydrogen Study – Full Report (PDF, 28MB)
- Appendices (PDF, 3.1MB)
Centralized Renewable Hydrogen Production in B.C. (2019)
- Clean Transportation Policies and Programs
- Go Electric Hydrogen Fuelling Infrastructure
- CleanBC Industry Fund
- BC-LCFS Requirements
- Part 3 Agreements
- Hydrogen Station Permitting Guidebook (PDF, 2.5MB)
Please contact the Clean Energy and Major Projects Office with questions or inquiries about building projects or investing in British Columbia’s hydrogen economy.