Building Code Appeal Board
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meeting formats have changed and typical timelines do not apply.
Under the Building Act (Part 4, sections 19 to 21), the Building Code Appeal Board hears appeals of decisions of a local authority on whether a matter conforms to a building regulation. It operates independently from government in its decision-making capacity.
Board members include subject-matter experts from outside government. A member of the Building and Safety Standards Branch serves as board secretary.
Meetings are typically held once a month (on the third Thursday). During each meeting, the board reviews appeal application packages to reach a decision. About 15 to 20 appeals are reviewed annually.
How to Apply
The appeal must involve a disagreement between an authority having jurisdiction (a building official) and an owner or his/her agent (a designer, builder, etc.) over interpretation or application of the code. The appeal must be made by the building owner or someone retained by the owner under contract or subcontract in respect of the design, construction, alteration, repair or demolition of the building.
It's best to apply by the end of the month to minimize wait times. Decisions typically take 3 to 8 weeks. Only in extenuating circumstances is an appeal conducted in the form of a hearing where parties are invited to attend.
Prepare an application
Submission packages must meet the following requirements
- A completed application form (PDF). The applicant completes Section 1 and the building official completes Section 2
- Written details of the dispute
- Sufficient data to support the appeal (e.g., drawings and reports)
- Applications can be either electronic or hard copy. Applicants submitting hard copies may be requested to submit up to 6 copies of the submission documents.
Submit a package
Send applications with supporting documents to the secretary of the Building Code Appeal Board.
- Email Building Safety
- Mail Building and Safety Standards Branch, PO Box 9844 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC V8W 9T2
- Courier Building and Safety Standards Branch, 614 Humboldt Street - 4th Floor, Victoria, BC V8W 3A2
Schedule a review
Once an application is received and accepted, the board will send written confirmation to applicants notifying when their case will be considered. Incomplete submissions that do not meet requirements will be returned to applicants. Applicants are notified by email of a final decision.
Appeal Board Decisions
Board decisions are final and binding. The appeal board cannot relax, waive or alter any part of the BC Building Code.
The board's decision can only be overruled if a court judicial review determines that the basic principles of administrative law had not been followed.
The appeal board does not approve building materials, products or systems.
Appeal Board Remuneration Reports
- Read the 2015 to 2016 report (PDF)
- Read the 2016 to 2017 report (PDF)
- Read the 2017 to 2018 report (PDF)
The content on this page was updated by the Province of British Columbia on June 19, 2020.