British Columbia’s commercial hog industry is concentrated in the Fraser Valley.

On this page:

Industry overview

Two categories of hogs are marketed in the province of British Columbia:

  • Round hogs (also known as BBQ hogs, 40 - 45 kg)
  • Market hogs (95 - 110 kg) account for approximately 85% of B.C. hogs

Approximately 92% of pork consumed in B.C. is classified as commodity pork (basic cuts, such as bellies, butts, hams, and loins) while the other 8% is value-added specialty pork.

Small lot pork production

This resource manual was developed as a collaborative effort between B.C. Pork and the B.C. Ministry of Agriculture specifically for small lot pork producers. It provides details on good husbandry practices, production economics, marketing, euthanasia, emergency management, and provincial and federal legislation.

Small Lot Pork Producer  – Management & Production Full Manual (v.2020-10-01) (PDF, 4.3 MB)

Management and Production Manual videos
1. Swine Legislation 8. Biosecurity
2. Getting Started 9. Wild and Feral Pigs in Canada
3. Production Economics 10. Marketing Hogs
4. Housing and Management 11. Transporting Hogs
5. Nutrition and Feeding Management 12. Humane Euthanasia
6. The Pig: What to Expect 13. Emergency Management
7. Swine Health  

BC Enterprise Budget Calculator for Small Lot & Commercial Pork Producers (v. 2020-10-01) (XLSX, 1.6 MB) provides an intuitive budget format for determining net income and costs of producing pork.  Please refer to Section 3: Production Economics in BC’s Small Lot Pork Producer - Management & Production (PDF) resource manual for full details on how to use this program.

Other Resources

  1. The Canadian Small-Scale Pig Farming Manual (PDF) - A Canadian swine training development project manual for people who are interested in raising pigs on a small-scale basis.
  2. The Top 10 Guide of Things to Know About Raising Pigs (PDF) - A condensed summary of the highlights of the above manual
  3. PigTRACE for Small-Scale Pig Producers - Canadian Pork Council information on traceability requirements for small-scale producers

Commercial pork production

Hog production in B.C. consists of regulated and non-regulated production of round hogs and market hogs. Essential components to hog production are:

  • Extensive practical and technical experience in hog production management
  • Sufficient acreage classified as agricultural land
  • Ready access to a licensed abattoir committed to accepting pork

Best practices and useful resources for the pork industry have been compiled into this helpful guide:

The Codes of Practice, developed by the National Farm Animal Care Council, are guidelines for the care and handling of farm animals:

Hoop shelters can add housing space to an existing farm operation with low capital investment:

A reference guide for investors in the B.C. hog market, specifically in the Peace River Region and North Okanagan:

The following industry factsheets can help pork producers to maximize the health of their swine:


On July 1, 2014, federal legislation came into effect that required all hog movements to be recorded and reported to the national PigTrace database within 48 hours.

In January of 2015, the Animal Health Act was updated to allow the Province to better manage and respond to animal diseases to:

  • Strengthen detection and management of diseases that can spread between animals and humans
  • Ensure that B.C.'s farms are competitive by preventing, promptly detecting and eradicating animal diseases
  • Reflect the realities of increasing global travel and trade

The BC Hog Marketing Scheme, established under the Natural Products Marketing (BC) Act, created the BC Hog Marketing Commission as a specialized body to govern regulated hog production as well as the marketing of B.C. hogs.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has a mandate to ensure a safe food supply for everyone in Canada.  Other local, provincial and federal legislation and regulations apply.