The Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) sees complaints as an opportunity for the Branch to review and improve its rules, processes and policies where necessary.
To ensure your concerns are heard and appropriate action is taken please see below for information on how to submit your complaint.
Please provide a brief description of the complaint, including:
- file number
- relevant dates
- names of persons involved
- a summary of the incident
Note: this process is not for complaints or concerns about the outcome of your dispute resolution proceeding.
The RTB deals with complaints about conduct or behaviour as an opportunity for improvement, but decisions made by arbitrators are final and binding. The RTB is not able to change the outcome of a hearing. There are legislated steps and specific timeframes that you must follow if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your dispute. Under limited circumstances, the RTB may be able to correct, clarify or review a decision. Otherwise, only the Supreme Court of BC, on judicial review, may revisit a decision. See Applying to the Courts for Review for more information.
Complaints or concerns about RTB staff conduct
If you are unable to contact us by email, see the Contact the Residential Tenancy Branch webpage.
What happens next?
- Once received, your complaint or concern will be forwarded to the appropriate manager/supervisor for review.
- The appropriate manager/supervisor will review the complaint, which will usually include discussing the matter with the staff person against whom the complaint has been made.
- If a complaint is made about a dispute resolution hearing and a decision has not yet been made in the case, this step may not occur in order to avoid any possibility of compromising the impartiality of the arbitrator in reaching a decision. If appropriate, discussion may occur after a decision has been rendered. If you have concerns during a hearing, you should raise those concerns at the hearing.
- You will receive a written response outlining the steps that were taken to review your complaint, along with the outcome and potential next steps.
- We will respond to your correspondence within 30 days of receipt.
If you believe you have not been treated fairly by the RTB, you may wish to contact:
Office of the Ombudsperson
PO Box 9039 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9A5
Telephone: 1-800-567-3247 (toll-free)
Fax: 250-387-0198 (Victoria)
The content on this website is periodically reviewed and updated by the Province of British Columbia as per the date noted on each page: October 1, 2021.