Residential Tenancies

Search Residential Tenancies

Featured Content

Rent Increase

The annual rent increase amount for 2024 is 3.5%. More information is available here.

Tenancy agreements

Landlords are required to prepare a written agreement for every tenancy. Even if a landlord doesn't prepare one, renters are protected.

Resources, Calculators and FAQs

Discover publications and tools that will help you to understand your rights and responsibilities as a landlord or tenant.

Ending a Tenancy for Renovations or Repairs

Effective July 1, 2021, changes to the residential tenancy legislation now require landlords to apply to the Residential Tenancy Branch to end tenancies for renovations or repairs.

Information for New Landlords

Are you a new landlord or thinking of becoming one?

Changes to Tenancy Laws

When the Residential Tenancy Act and the Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act and Regulation are amended it is important that landlords and tenants understand how these changes affect their rights and obligations.

Compliance and Enforcement

The Compliance and Enforcement Unit (CEU) ensures compliance the residential tenancy laws of BC. When a landlord or tenant has seriously and deliberately not followed BC tenancy laws, the CEU may investigate and issue administrative monetary penalties. 

Starting a Tenancy

Before renting a property, landlords and tenants should be familiar with the rules and regulations that govern how residential properties or units are rented in B.C.

During a Tenancy

What are your rights and responsibilities during a tenancy, including information on rent increases, repairs and maintenance?

Solving Problems

What to do when problems occur during a tenancy.

Contact the Residential Tenancy Branch

Contact the Residential Tenancy Branch for information, education and dispute resolution services for landlords and tenants.

Can't find your Dispute Access Code? Email my Dispute Access Code

Explore Within


The forms page has new forms to make applying for dispute resolution easier.

Explore Within

Find it Fast

A site map listing all the residential tenancies pages and subpages. 

Contact the Residential Tenancy Branch