Panel Member Commitment & Accountabilities
Appointees are expected to make a commitment to perform an impartial, honest and fair review of complaints presented by property owners. Panels are convened throughout the province and sit in review of complaints commencing February 1 and concluding March 15 of the same year.
The panels review and adjudicate:
- complaints to ensure that actual value is applied to property assessments in municipalities or rural areas
Panel Chairs and members should be available:
- for adequate time to complete the self-directed training session
- from February 1 to March 15 for panel hearings
The volume of complaints filed annually determines the number of hearing days required each year. Panel Chairs and members are provided with a tentative list of scheduled sitting days prior to hearing commencement in February, and may be advised of any additional hearing dates during the review period. However, all complaints must be heard and decisions rendered on or before March 15.
Panel members are accountable to the Chair who, in turn, is accountable to the Minister. Chairs and panel members are also accountable to the PARP Administrator.
Chairs and members are accountable for the following activities:
- completing assigned proceedings in a timely, orderly and respectful manner
- reporting to the Chair or Administrator on issues of a general nature that arise in the course of proceedings
- making recommendations to the Chair or Administrator for improvements to the rules, forms, policies, practices or procedures of the panel
- providing special reports that may be of general interest or concern to the panel