MSP Direct is an online business service that allows group plan administrators to do a number of adjustments to their members' account. Administrators are able to add and remove employees and their dependents from MSP group accounts through electronic means. Administrators can also quickly retrieve and update addresses of employees, confirm the Personal Health Number of an employee or dependent, etc.
Transactions that can be conducted through MSP Direct include:
- PHN Lookup - Find PHN of employee and/or dependent under your group.
- Add Employee - Add new employee and employee's dependents to an MSP group account.
- Add Employee Dependent - Add spouse or child to an existing employee's group contract.
- Add Visa Resident - Enrol international students holding study permits.
- Cancel Employee - Cancel employee from the employer's MSP group account. Dependents of the employee are cancelled automatically.
- Cancel Employee Dependent - Cancel spouse or child from employee's group account.
- Get Contract Periods - Retrieve persons and coverage periods associated with employee's MSP contract(s).
- Reinstate Cancelled Group Coverage - Remove a cancellation date and leave coverage intact.
- Renew Cancelled Group Coverage - Start a new coverage period without having to update addresses and employee numbers.
- Record Death - Cancel benefits for a deceased employee or dependent.
- Update Employee Contact Address - Update the home or mailing address, and/or telephone number of an employee's MSP Group Contract.
- Validate Address - Validate any Canadian address against Canada Post Corporation (CPC) compliance standards. Employer can also verify or obtain correct addresses and postal codes.
It is no longer possible to submit personal information changes (e.g. name change) through MSP Direct. Please use a Group Change Request form for this purpose.
Advantages of Using MSP Direct
During regular business hours (6 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday), group administrators are able to:
- Add and remove employees and dependents from MSP group accounts, through electronic rather than paper processes, to keep premium billings current.
- Retrieve and update the MSP addresses of employees quickly.
- Record the required documentation to prove an employee's right to health care benefits, through electronic rather than paper processes.
- Confirm that the PHN for a person is correct.
- Reduce turn-around time from weeks to seconds to register and terminate employer benefits for employees.
MSP Direct for Group Plan Administrators
Due to changes in B.C. legislation, which were in response to the US Patriot Act, we are prohibited from releasing personal information outside of Canada. Therefore, we are unable to set up any new clients outside of Canada with access to MSP Direct. If you have any further questions please call our HelpDesk at 250 952-1234 or toll-free 1 888 764-2323.
Overview of Service
The MSP Direct service is authorized by the Ministry of Health and the Medical Services Plan of B.C. to allow group plan administrators to maintain accounts for which they hold billing responsibilities. MSP Direct is available to employers and organizations responsible for MSP coverage administration. For example, employers deducting MSP premiums from their employees' payroll can update the coverage particulars for each employee.
Purpose of Service
During regular business hours (6:00am -18:00pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday), MSP group administrators are able to update MSP accounts online vs. paper processes:
- Add and remove employees and dependents from their MSP group accounts to keep premium billings current
- Retrieve and update the MSP addresses of their employees
- Record documentation required to prove an employee's right to health care benefits
- Confirm that the personal health number that they have for a person is correct.
- Reduce turn around time from weeks to seconds for employers to register and terminate employer benefits for their employees
- Provide one point for collection and maintenance of client demographic data, thus reducing time and costs and enhancing the quality of the data
Prerequisites for Service
To qualify and register for this service:
- A web browser with a cipher strength of 128-bit.
- Internet Explorer (v 6.0 to 9.0) with default settings is the recommended standard.
- Read MSP Direct - Web Business Services Overview (Coming soon: updated overview)
- Register for MSP coverage maintenance (MSP Direct) online
- As part of the online registration, you are required to complete, sign and mail a Ministry of Health Data Access Agreement to the ministry. Once it is received your application will be processed.
- Complete a signed Confidentiality Undertaking (PDF, 37KB).
- Install a ministry issued digital certificate, as described in the Access Administrator's Guide (PDF, 730KB).
The available business services are described below:
- PHN Inquiry
- PHN Lookup
- Add Employee
- Add Employee Dependent
- Cancel Employee
- Cancel Employee's Dependent
- Get Contract Periods
- Update Employee Number and / or Department Number
- Get Employee Contract Address
- Update Employee Contract Address
Person Demographic business services include (for health authorities only):
If you will have users accessing MSP Direct at more than one physical location, you will need to submit a registration for MSP Direct at each location, using the physical street location for each and sign a Data Sharing Agreement for each.
- Add/Delete/Edit MSP Users
- Add/Delete/Edit MSP Groups
- Changes to an Organization
- Changes to the Access Administrator
- Changes to the Signing Authority
For further information or support, please contact the Ministry of Health Helpdesk:
In Victoria: 250 952-1234
Toll-free: 1 888 764-2323