Supplement for Alcohol & Drug Treatment


A supplement for alcohol and drug treatment is available to eligible recipients of income assistancedisability assistance, or hardship assistance and their dependent children.


Effective: January 1, 2020

Alcohol and drug treatment in BC is provided through the Ministry of Health (MOH) who fund both residential and non-residential services.  Services are free to the public and may be used by the ministry’s recipients on a self-referral basis.

In addition to the MOH-funded services, a number of non-governmental organizations provide treatment and counselling services on a fee-for-service basis.  The expenses for  these services may be approved for recipients of income assistance, disability assistance, and hardship assistance and their dependent children, provided that all of the following apply: 

  • there are no other resources available. For example, government-funded services are not available in the recipient’s community.
  • the recipient has an alcohol or drug problem that constitutes a barrier to entering the workforce
  • the service is pre-approved by the ministry
  • the total amount for the service is limited to up to $500 per 12-month period

A referral to WorkBC Employment Services will be made upon completion of the service.

 [For maximum rate, see Rate Table: Health Supplements and Programs – Supplement for Alcohol and Drug Treatment.] Note: Expenses over $500 may be considered.

Effective: January 1, 2020

Supplement for alcohol and drug treatment can be used to cover the cost of counselling services provided by a methadone program, if all of the eligibility criteria for this supplement are met.

Effective: December 1, 2008

Supplement for alcohol and drug treatment cannot be used to cover a recipient’s transportation costs to and from counselling appointments for alcohol and drug treatment.  This supplement is available only for the cost of alcohol and drug counselling services.


Effective: December 1, 2003

Payment for these counselling services can be made direct to the agency upon billing or direct to the recipient with a receipt.

[For more information on methods of payment, see Related Links – Individual Case Management.]