Senior’s Supplement

Last updated on May 2, 2024

If you are a low-income senior and receive:

  • Old Age Security (OAS)
  • Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) allowances
  • No other significant sources of taxable income (like CPP)

You may be able to get a monthly payment from the B.C. government to top-up your federal income. You may also be eligible if you’re 60 to 65 and receive federal spouse’s allowance.

On this page:


The BC government calculates the payment based on how much financial assistance you get from OAS and GIS. These amounts depend on the income you reported on your income tax the previous year. If you’re eligible, you’ll start to get the Senior’s Supplement one month after your first OAS/GIS payment.

You don't need to apply. Payment is automatic.

Resident requirement

You must be a permanent resident of B.C. to receive the Senior’s Supplement. You can vacation out of the province for up to six months and continue to get your payment during this time. If you are leaving B.C. permanently, you'll need to:

  • Update your address with Service Canada, and
  • Let the Senior’s Supplement Program know

You are also able to continue receiving the payment if you move into a long term care facility.


Depending on your OAS/GIS monthly amounts, you could receive:

  • $1.00 to $99.30 for single seniors
  • $2.00 to $220.50 for senior couples
  • $1.00 to $99.83 as a spouse receiving the federal OAS allowance

Payment is automatic. It will be sent to you each month in the same way you receive OAS/GIS.

2024 payment dates

This year's Senior’s Supplement payment dates are:

  • January 29, 2024
  • February 27, 2024
  • March 27, 2024
  • April 29, 2024
  • May 29, 2024
  • June 27, 2024
  • July 29, 2024
  • August 28, 2024
  • September 27, 2024
  • October 29, 2024
  • November 27, 2024
  • December 20, 2024

Prior to contacting us, allow at least two business days for missed or in-transit payments.

Retroactive payments and adjustments

Your OAS/GIS monthly amounts could change if your income changes. You could get retroactive payments and/or adjustments to your Senior’s Supplement payment. Let Service Canada know if your:

  • Marital status changes
  • Income from these sources changes:
    • Employment earnings
    • Retirement pensions
    • Canada Pension Plan or Quebec Pension Plan
    • Alimony
    • Private disability payments

Service Canada will notify the B.C. government of these changes.

How to request a retroactive payment

Give the Senior’s Supplement Program confirmation of your monthly OAS/GIS payments. This is a document you can get from Service Canada. It must show the monthly OAS/GIS payment breakdown for each month that you request retroactive payments.

If you’re eligible for retroactive payments, the money will be added to your next payment.

Service Canada

Contact Service Canada at 1-800-277-9914 if you have questions about:

  • Your income
  • Changing your address
  • Moving out of B.C.
  • Changing your direct deposit information
Calling on someone’s behalf?

If you’d like to contact us on behalf of someone else, you’ll need to get that person’s verbal or written consent. Please fill out the Consent to Disclosure of Information form (PDF) and send it to us via email or mail.