Organics Infrastructure Program
In December 2017, the Government of Canada announced it is providing 'Low Carbon Economy Funding' to the Province of B.C. in support of projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The B.C. Government has identified matching funds to support organic waste processing infrastructure to increase municipal organics diversion and management of agricultural waste. The Organics Infrastructure Program combines $10 million of federal funding from the Low Carbon Economy Leadership Fund, $10 million of provincial funding, and a $10 million contribution from recipients and/or their partners.
About the Program
The Organics Infrastructure Program will facilitate the investment of $30 million towards organics processing infrastructure in British Columbia, such as composting facilities or anaerobic digesters. The infrastructure will divert unprocessed municipal organic waste from landfills and/or agricultural waste from direct land application, with the goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
This funding opportunity is open to local governments only (municipalities, regional districts and self-governing First Nations with modern treaties), however applicants may choose to team with a range of partners.
The Province is collecting submissions from interested parties through an Expression of Interest (EOI) process. The submission period opens September 7, 2018 and closes November 30, 2018 (extended from November 7th). An Expression of Interest must be submitted in order to submit a formal application in the spring of 2019.
How to Submit an EOI
To express interest in this funding opportunity, follow these steps:
- Before submitting an Expression of Interest, refer to:
- Determine if your project meets requirements for funding
- Determine if your organization is eligible to receive funding under this program
- Calculate your GHG emission reductions using the GHG Calculator provided (1-b).
- The GHG Calculator was designed for a constant waste growth rate. If a varying waste growth rate would be more applicable to your project, please use the Weighted Average Calculator (XLS) for input into the GHG Calculator.
- Download and complete the Expression of Interest Form (PDF)
- Please save the form to your computer before entering your information. Don't use a web browser to complete the form as data may be lost when the form is saved. We recommend using Adobe Reader which is free to download.
- Email your submission to OrganicsFund@gov.bc.ca and attach a copy of:
- your GHG calculations, and
- a completed Expression of Interest Form