Forestry Pesticide Applicator Certificate
Get certified to apply pesticides to manage weeds, insects and diseases in forestry production, including weed control on forest rangeland. There are four categories for this certificate:
- Forestry – General: For use of pesticides to manage insects, weeds and diseases affecting forest fibre production including weed control on forest rangeland, pests in forest seedling nurseries and pests in forest seed cone orchards
- Forestry – Non-Broadcast: Restricted to the localized application of herbicides for forest management, including hack and squirt, basal bark and stump treatments
- Forestry – Seedling Nursery: Restricted to the management of pests in forest seedling nurseries
- Forestry – Seed Orchard: Restricted to the management of pests in forest seed cone orchards
Pilots wishing to apply pesticides by aircraft to forest areas must get an aerial applicator certificate.
All four categories use the same study materials:
- Canadian Pesticide Education Program Applicator Core Manual British Columbia Edition (2011)
- Canadian Pesticide Education Program Supplement Forestry Applicator Certification Manual (2013)
Older editions of the study materials are not recommended.
Required reading for reciprocity exams (for out of province certificate holders wishing to work in B.C.):
Option 1) Write the exam for the category you wish to get.
Get the study materials listed above.
- If you will be applying pesticides for forest pest management, including weed control on forest rangeland, arrange to write the three-hour Forestry – General exam
- If you will only be applying herbicides with localized application methods for forest management, arrange to write the three-hour Forestry – Non-Broadcast exam
- If you will only be applying pesticides for managing pests in forestry seedling nurseries, arrange to write the three-hour Forestry – Seedling Nursery exam
- If you will only be applying pesticides in forestry seed orchards, arrange to write the three-hour Forestry – Seed Orchard exam
To arrange writing the exam, contact Service BC.
The cost to write the exam is $90.
Your exam mark will determine the term of your certificate:
- 5 year (75% and above)
- 1 year (60% - 74%)
Option 2) Reciprocity for out-of-province certificates
- You have a valid five-year pesticide applicator certificate in a similar category from another Canadian province
- Read the required reading for reciprocity exams listed above
- Arrange to write the one-hour IPM Act and Regulation – Forestry/Mosquito exam by contacting Service BC
- The cost to write the exam is $90
- You must receive at least 75% on the IPM Act and Regulation exam to be issued a B.C. forestry pesticide applicator certificate in the corresponding category. Your B.C. certificate will be valid for five years from the date the out-of-province pesticide applicator certificate was issued
Option 1) Recertify by exam
- Forestry – General pesticide applicator certificates can recertify by writing the Forestry – General exam
- Forestry – Non-Broadcast pesticide applicator certificates can recertify by writing the Forestry – Non-Broadcast exam
- Forestry – Seedling Nursery pesticide applicator certificates can recertify by writing the Forestry – Seedling Nursery exam
- Forestry – Seed Orchard pesticide applicator certificates can recertify by writing the Forestry – Seed Orchard exam
The cost to write the exam is $90.
Option 2) Recertify by CECs
- If you held a five-year certificate, you have the option of recertifying by collecting continuing education credits (CECs)
- To be recertified using this process, you must get 20 CECs over five years
- The cost to recertify by CECs is $25
- Recertification credits for Forestry pesticide applicator certificates are managed by the following private industry association:
Integrated Vegetation Management Association of B.C.
- Gwen Shrimpton
- Email: email@example.com