B.C. air quality news
On this page
Find the latest information about air quality regulations, guidelines and restrictions in B.C.
In 2020, an independent review of the Wood Stove Exchange Program (since renamed the Community Wood Smoke Reduction Program) was conducted.
To learn more, please view the 2020 Evaluation Report on the Operating a local program page.
There's a new tool to assist with dispersion modelling.
The CALNO2 post-processor can be used to process one or more CALPUFF concentration files.
It also calculates nitrogen dioxide (NO2) concentrations from modelled nitrogen oxides (NOx) using either:
- Ambient Ratio Method (ARM) or,
- Ozone Limiting Method (OLM)
The application of both methods is consistent with the nitrogen dioxide modelling guidance.
Visit the CALPUFF Modelling System to download this tool and its user guide.
BC Air Indicators have been updated with latest air zone reports data.
Environmental Reporting BC Air Indicators provides an interactive presentation of the state and trends of air quality.
The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy, Metro Vancouver Reginal District, Fraser Valley Regional District and Environment and Climate Change Canada have developed the Lower Fraser Valley Photochemical Modelling Guideline.
This guideline provides recommendations on photochemical modelling techniques for estimating impacts of air emissions from large projects on secondary pollutants (for example, ground-level ozone and secondary particulate matter).
This guideline is primarily intended for use in the Lower Fraser Valley.
Please visit air quality modelling to access this guidance document.
Visit the latest air zone reports page to access the reports.
Annual air zone reporting is a commitment under the national Air Quality Management System (AQMS).
This report describes achievement of the Canadian Ambient Air Quality Standards (CAAQS) for:
- Fine particulates (PM2.5)
- Ground-level ozone
- Nitrogen dioxide (NO2)
- Sulphur dioxide (SO2) and the associated management levels
To receive news and updates, subscribe to this page using these instructions.
- Enter your email in the 'Subscribe Box' on the top right corner of this page. Select 'Submit'
- An email will be sent to your inbox to verify the request
- Please follow the link to verify
- If you do not see the confirmation email, check to see if it has gone to your spam folder
- You'll receive another short message welcoming you to the system