Latest news and updates from B.C. Air Quality
Learn about the latest news, events, and announcements from B.C. Air Quality. Subscribe to our email list to receive notifications when new information is posted.
November 15, 2021 - New Provincial Air Quality Objectives, updated Air Quality Dispersion Modelling Guideline, and new Guidance for NO2 Dispersion Modelling
B.C. has adopted new Provincial Air Quality Objectives for Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2). The new NO2 objectives are included in the Provincial Air Quality Objectives Fact Sheet (PDF, 310KB).
Details on how the new objectives will be applied can be found in the Nitrogen Dioxide Implementation Guide (PDF, 330KB).
The B.C. Air Quality Dispersion Modelling Guideline (PDF, 1.4 MB) has been updated and supplemented with the Nitrogen Dioxide Modelling Guidance (PDF, 980KB).
A revised Dispersion Modelling Plan Template (DOCX, 47KB) is now available based on the new guidance.
Visit Open Burning Smoke Control Regulation to access the factsheets.
Read the general burning information, then choose one of the 6 other factsheets to learn about rules in your area.
There are factsheets for all smoke sensitivity zones of the province, as well as information on community wildfire risk reduction, air curtain incinerators and what to do with diseased vegetative debris.
A record keeping sheet helps you record information about your burn.
Visit the latest air zone reports page to access the reports.
Annual air zone reporting is a commitment under the national Air Quality Management System (AQMS).
This report describes achievement of the Canadian Ambient Air Quality Standards (CAAQS) for ground-level ozone (O3) and fine particulates (PM2.5) and the
- Associated management levels
- Recent actions to improve air quality
The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy proposes to adopt new air quality objectives for nitrogen dioxide (NO2). An intentions paper is available describing the proposal. Feedback is sought on the proposal by June 18, 2021.
On May 26, 2021 from 11am to 12pm the Ministry will hold a public webinar to explain the proposal, answer questions and receive feedback. Email BCAirQualityObjectives@gov.bc.ca to register for the webinar.
April 8, 2021 - The 2016 to 2018 Air Zone Reports are now available
Visit the Latest air zone reports page to access the reports.
Annual air zone reporting is a commitment under the national Air Quality Management System (AQMS). This report describes achievement of the Canadian Ambient Air Quality Standards (CAAQS) for ground-level ozone (O3) and fine particulates (PM2.5), the associated management levels and recent actions to improve air quality.
Subscribe to our mailing list
To receive news and updates from the B.C. Air Quality program, you will need to subscribe to this page using the instructions below:
- Enter your email in the 'Subscribe Box' on the top right-hand corner of this page. Click Submit.
- An email will be sent to your inbox to verify the request. Please follow the link to verify. If you do not see the confirmation email, check if it has gone to your spam folder.
- You will receive another short message welcoming you to the system.
- March 25, 2021 - The B.C. Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy proposes to adopt new air quality objectives for nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Visit air quality management objectives and standards for details.
- March 3, 2021 – Winners of the 2020/2021 Robert Caton Scholarship Award ($2500) and the David Bates Scholarship Award ($2500) were announced during the B.C. Lung Air Quality and Health Workshop. For details, visit B.C. air quality scholarship winners.