Teaching certificates in British Columbia

Last updated on February 7, 2024

Learn about the different certificates that can qualify you to teach in B.C. schools within the province or abroad.

On this page:


Certificate of Qualification

Certificate of Qualifications

A Certificate of Qualification is required for educators who work at B.C. public schools including full-time, part-time and on-call teachers.

This type of certificate can also be used to teach at B.C. independent, First Nations, or offshore schools.

Independent School Teaching Certificate

Independent School Teaching CertificateTeachers at B.C. independent and First Nations schools, or B.C. offshore schools, must have an Independent School Teaching Certificate (ISTC) or a Certificate of Qualification.

First Nations Language Teaching Certificate

First Nations Language Teaching Certificate

A First Nations Language Teaching Certificate is required to work in B.C. schools as a First Nations language and culture teacher in British Columbia.

Letter of Permission

A Letter of Permission is a special permit that allows someone to teach without a certificate in a particular school district, independent school authority or for a First Nations Council for up to one school year. It is only to be used when a certified teacher is not available to fill a vacant position. The employer and the applicant each submit a part of the application form. It is the responsibility of the employer to help guide the applicant when applying for the Letter of Permission.