Pacific Leaders Tuition Grants for Co-op Employees
The Pacific Leaders Tuition Grants for Co-op Employees program supports recruitment in the BC Public Service.
Co-op employees may be reimbursed up to a maximum of $1,000 per academic work term under the BC Public Service’s Co-op Program. The co-op work term tuition fee is the only expense that is eligible for reimbursement. Other tuition fees, university fees, and books aren't eligible expenses.
You're eligible to apply for co-op work term tuition reimbursement if you:
- Register in a recognized co-operative education program at a participating post-secondary institution
- Currently participate in the Co-op Program with a BC Public Service employer
Eligible employers include all ministries and provincial organizations that are enabled under the Public Service Act.
You aren't eligible if you work in the broader public sector, including:
- Provincial Health Authorities (e.g., Island Health)
- School districts and universities
- Crown Corporations (e.g., Community Living BC, BC Hydro)
- Other municipal or federal governments (e.g., police)
These organizations have their own terms and conditions of employment.
Apply for the Pacific Leaders Tuition Grants for Co-op Employees program shortly after starting your work term. You must submit a separate application form for each work term. If you're doing back to back co-op work terms, be sure to submit an application form for the second work term.
Before submitting your application, please review the final checklist for applicants on the application form (PDF, 317KB) to ensure your application package is complete. Email your complete application package to PacificLeadersCo-opGrants@gov.bc.ca. Do not include any additional documentation.
The BC Public Service Agency will review your application to assess your eligibility for the grant. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you and your Expense Authority will be notified by email within four weeks.
The BC Public Service Agency will contact you and/or your Expense Authority if they have questions while reviewing your grant application.
Any reimbursements are paid at the end of co-op work terms with the BC Public Service.
Rules with Taxes
- The Pacific Leaders Tuition Grants for Co-op Employees program is a taxable benefit that may affect your taxes.
- Your reimbursement amount will be included on your BC Government employment T4.
- Please contact the Canada Revenue Agency or a tax professional if you need help with personal taxes.
Rules for Student Loans
- As with all wages, scholarships and grants, the Pacific Leaders Tuition Grants for Co-op Employees program may affect your student loan application and the amount of student loan funding you're eligible to receive.
- For further BC student loan information and help, please contact StudentAidBC.