2020 Traffic Management Manual for Work on Roadways
The 2020 Traffic Management Manual for Work on Roadways (TMM) is an update to the 2015 Interim Traffic Management Manual for Work on Roadways and accounts for edits, comments, and feedback received during the four-year phase in period. The 2020 TMM remains mostly unchanged where the focus of the update was to address:
- Errors and inconsistencies,
- Revisions to bring about further clarification, and
- Additional options and guidance
The 2020 TMM outlines fundamental principles and guidelines for traffic management and traffic control with the goal of protection of workers and the safe and efficient movement of road users through a work zone.
Effective January 2020, the 2020 TMM is to be used for all work on Ministry roadways unless otherwise stated.
- 2020 Traffic Management Manual for Work on Roadways (PDF, 26MB)
The complete document is a large file and may take some time to download. Individual parts are available below.
- Overview of Changes from Previous Documents (PDF, 215KB))
- T-04/20: 2020 Traffic Management Manual for work on Roadways (PDF, 78KB)
Download updates to maintain compliance with current requirements
- Technical Bulletins
Learn about new guidelines or instructions that are necessary prior to major updates to the manual.
- Local Area Specifications
Local area specifications outline the minimum acceptable standards of completed work unique to individual service areas.
Individual parts are provided for quicker download and to enable the replacement of individual parts of updated materials as required.
- Frontice (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Table of Contents
- Instructions on using the Interim Manual
- Section 1: Introduction
- Part A: Traffic Management (PDF, 1MB)
Outlines fundamentals of the Interim TMM and the steps and procedures for developing a Traffic Management Plan. Included are the Project Category Determination and the Traffic Management Sub-Plan components.
- Section 2: Fundamentals of Traffic Management and Traffic Control
- Section 3: Traffic Management Plans
- Part B: Traffic Control (PDF, 3.3MB)
Includes temporary traffic control devices, Traffic Control Persons, and appropriate use of the Layouts in Sections 6 through 19
- Section 4: Temporary Traffic Control Devices
- Section 5: Traffic Control Persons (TCPs)
- Traffic Control Layouts (PDF, 14 MB)
Sections 6 through 19 detail commonly used layouts depending on the type and location of the work. These layouts are used to develop site specific layouts for a Traffic Control Plan.
- Section 6: Traffic Control Layouts - General Instructions
- Section 7: Two Lane Two Way Roadways
- Section 8: Multilane Undivided Roadways
- Section 9: Multilane Divided Roadways
- Section 10: Mobile Work
- Section 11: Intersections
- Section 12: Roundabouts
- Section 13: Milling, Paving, Sealcoating
- Section 14: Pavement Marking
- Section 15: Surveying
- Section 16: Avalanche Control
- Section 17: Utility Work
- Section 18: Bicycle Lanes
- Section 19: Other Scenarios
- Appendices A-F (PDF, 4.8MB)
- Appendix G: Pilot Car Load Movement Guidelines (PDF, 2.6MB)
Sample Traffic Management Plans (TMPs) for Categories 1, 2, and 3 are provided only as reference documents. TMPs submitted to the Ministry will require customization depending on local site conditions, requirements, and the complexity of the work being undertaken.