Crown Land Wildfire Risk Reduction
Administered through the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations, and Rural Development with an initial 2019/20 investment of up to $20M per year, through to 2021/22. Highlights of the program include:
- Fuel management planning and treatment activities focusing on provincial Crown land located around communities.
- Prescribed fire (including planning and operational treatments) and the development of a comprehensive provincial prescribed fire program.
- Risk reduction activities targeting provincially identified critical infrastructure, beginning with critical response infrastructure such as government-owned radio repeaters, weather stations and airtanker bases.
- Operational projects funded by the CRI Crown Land WRR category will be contracted via BC Bid and will help to increase community resiliency to wildfire, increase ecosystem resiliency and support local contractors in communities across the province.
- Infrastructure, beginning with critical response infrastructure such as government-owned radio repeaters, weather stations and airtanker bases.
Successful WRR outcomes require collaboration and coordination within joint operations as implementation of these funds will occur in partnership between BCWS, Resource Districts, BC Parks, BC Timber Sales and Mountain Resorts Branch.
For more information on the Crown Land WRR contact CRIprogram@gov.bc.ca.