Emergency program legislation and regulations
The Emergency Program Act (EPA) and the associated regulations provide the legislative framework for the management of disasters and emergencies in B.C.
- Emergency Program Act 1996
- Emergency Program Management Regulation 1994
- Compensation and Disaster Financial Assistance Regulation 1995
- Local Authority Emergency Management Regulation 1995
Changes to legislation and regulations
Solicitor General reports to the Speaker under the CRMA
Under Section 4 (1) of COVID-19 Related Measures Act (CRMA), the minister responsible for the administration of the Emergency Program Act must report to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly on the following made under that Act respecting the COVID-19 pandemic:
(a) an order made under section 10;
(b) a regulation made under section 10.1
On receipt of a report under this section, the legislation requires the Speaker to lay the report before the Legislative Assembly as soon as possible.
The following reports have been submitted to the Speaker as per the requirements of CRMA:
- M012 January 8 – Face Coverings (COVID-19) Order and M013 January 8 – Protective Measures (COVID-19) Order (PDF, 3.4 MB)
- M480 December 23 – Food Delivery Service (COVID-19) (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- M416 November 17 - Food and Liquor Premises, Gatherings and Events (COVID-19) Order No. 2 (PDF)
- OIC 579 November 12 - COVID-19 Residential Tenancy Act and Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act (No.3) Regulation (PDF)
- M358 September 25 – Food and liquor premises, gatherings and events (COVID-19) (PDF)
- M324 September 2 – Rescind Haida Gwaii (COVID-19) Order M257/2020 (PDF)
- M314 August 24 – COVID-19 (Gatherings and Events) Order (PDF)
- OIC 475 August 17 – COVID-19 (Residential Tenancy Act and Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act) (No. 2) Regulation (PDF)
- OIC 457 August 5 – COVID-19 (Passenger Transportation Act) Regulation (PDF)
- OIC 453 August 5 – COVID-19 (Limitation Periods in Court Proceedings) Regulation (PDF)
- OIC 449 August 4 – COVID-19 (Residential Tenancy Act and Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act) Regulation (PDF)
- M257 August 4 – Haida Gwaii (COVID-19) Order (PDF)
- M256 August 4 – BC Ferries Medical Travel (COVID-19) Order (PDF)
- M220 July 17 – Health Care Labour Adjustment (COVID-19) Order No. 2 (PDF)
- OIC 393 July 14 – COVID-19 (Societies Act) Regulation (PDF)
Attorney General reports required under the COVID-19 Related Measures Act can be found at the bottom of the Ministry of Attorney General Response to COVID-19 page.
Modernizing Emergency Program Act
The B.C. government is modernizing the Emergency Program Act (EPA) to support more effective management of emergencies in the province. We are doing this by incorporating international best practices, including the United Nations (UN) Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (Sendai Framework); the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (PDF) (the Declaration); and the draft principles that guide the province’s relationship with Indigenous Peoples.
Follow the proposed changes to legislation on the Changes to the Emergency Program Act page.