Certified Copies and Certified Electronic Extracts of a Marriage Registration
A certified copy of a marriage registration is a copy of the original registration signed by the couple, their witnesses and the officiant on their wedding day. Most couples never need a certified copy of their marriage registration, as the marriage certificate is the legal document most often requested as proof of the marriage.
If you request a certified copy of a marriage registration, Vital Statistics will send you a document similar to one of the documents shown below based on the year of marriage. Both documents contain the same information, and have the same purpose, but marriage registrations for marriages occurring after January 1, 2000, are computer-generated. Generally, marriage registration copies and extracts are only required for court purposes. Neither can be used for identification.
Certified Copy of a Marriage Registration
Certified Electronic Extract of a Marriage Registration
Who can Order a Certified Copy or Certified Electronic Extract of a Marriage Registration?
Certified copies or certified electronic extracts of a marriage registration are available to:
- either party to the marriage
- a person with written authorization from a person who is party to the marriage
- officers of provincial governments or the government of Canada who require the registration for the discharge of their official duties
- any other person who satisfies the registrar general concerning the good faith of the person’s cause for requiring the registration
- if both parties to the marriage are deceased, the nearest living relative of either person upon production of proof of relationship and proof of death for either party to the marriage; or
- any person, if
- both parties to the marriage have been deceased for 20 years or more, upon production of proof of death for both parties to the marriage, or
- more than 75 years have passed since the marriage of the parties
How to Order a Certified Copy or Certified Electronic Extract of a Marriage Registration
After you have confirmed that you are eligible to receive a certified copy or a certified electronic extract of a marriage registration, you can apply in any one of the following four ways:
Use the Vital Statistics Agency's secure online ordering service. A credit card is required.
Send a completed Application for Marriage Certificate or Registration Photocopy (VSA 430M) form (PDF, 1MB) with payment to:
Vital Statistics Agency
PO Box 9657 Stn Prov Govt
Bring a completed Application for Marriage Certificate or Registration Photocopy (VSA 430M) form (PDF, 1MB) with payment to any Service BC counter.
Call the Vital Statistics Agency at 250 952-2681 in Victoria or 1 888 876-1633 elsewhere in B.C. A credit card is required.
$50 per certified marriage registration delivered by mail
$60 per certified marriage registration delivered by courier