What is "collaborative family law"?
In the collaborative family law process you and your spouse each hire a lawyer who practises collaborative family law.
The two of you and your lawyers all sign an agreement promising to work together to find acceptable solutions.
The goal of a collaborative law process is to settle your case fairly, without going to court. The lawyers are hired to reach a settlement, not to go to court.
If the collaborative process does not work, the lawyers withdraw from the case.
For more information about collaborative law or how to find a collaborative family lawyer, see the following websites:
- BC Collaborative Roster Society
- Collaborative Divorce Vancouver (Lower Mainland)
- The Collaborative Association (Lower Mainland)
- Collaborative Family Separation Professionals (Victoria)
- Okanagan Collaborative Family Law Group (Okanagan Valley)
- Collaborative Law Group of Nelson (East and West Kootenays)
Access Pro Bono's Lawyer Referral Service may also be able to refer you to a lawyer who practises collaboratively.