We have property outside B.C. How is that dealt with?

Families are become increasingly mobile. More and more couples will have spent time outside British Columbia during their relationship, and have property outside B.C.

When a legal issue crosses borders, it is difficult to know where a claim for property division can or should be made (jurisdiction) and which province, state or country’s law governs the resolution of the dispute (choice of law).

The Family Law Act provides for rules in these cases. However, because these issues are complicated, we recommend that you get legal advice before you make any final decisions about these issues.

If you would like more information on this issue, see Division 6 – Jurisdiction and Choice of Law Rules in the Family Law Act Explained.