Change of Gender Designation on Birth Certificates

Effective November 1, 2018, a non-binary gender marker X is available to individuals who do not identify as male or female.
Once the gender on a birth certificate is updated, it can be submitted directly to Health Insurance BC and ICBC to change the gender on the BC Services Card, driver’s licence, and BC Identification card.

How to Change Your Gender Designation with the Vital Statistics Agency

Each applicant for a change of gender designation needs to submit two forms dependant on age. Fill out an adult application if you are 19 years of age and older. Fill out a minor application if you are under 19 years of age. Both adult and minor applicants need to submit a Physician’s or Psychologist’s Confirmation of Change of Gender Designation.