Dog-in-Training, Trainer & Retired Dog Certification
Dogs being trained by ADI or IGDF accredited schools are eligible for dog-in-training certification. Certification allows dogs to train in public places provided they are accompanied by a certified dog trainer.
Please submit an Application for a Dog-In-Training Certificate (SPD0805) completed by an authorized representative of an ADI or IGDF accredited school to Security Programs.
Dog Trainer Certification
Employees or volunteers training dogs for ADI or IGDF accredited schools can apply for certification allowing them to train the dogs in public places. Please submit the following to Security Programs:
- An Application for a Dog Trainer Certificate (SPD0804) completed by an authorized representative of an ADI or IGDF accredited school
- A passport size and quality photograph of the dog trainer
- A copy of valid government issued photo identification such as a passport or BCID
Please note: The registrar will not issue or renew a dog trainer certificate unless the individual identified in the certificate trains dogs on behalf of an accredited training school for the purpose of the dogs becoming guide dogs or service dogs.
Retired Dog Certification
Certified guide dogs and service dogs that have retired and remain with their handlers can receive retirement certification. Certification permits them to continue living with their handlers regardless of strata bylaws or rental conditions prohibiting pets.
Please submit the following to Security Programs:
- A completed Application for a Guide or Service Dog Retirement Certificate (SPD0802)
- All dog and handler certificates previously issued by the province under the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act
Certified retired dogs do not have access to restaurants, buses, hotels or other public places granted to working guide dogs and service dogs under the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act.
New guide dog and service dog certificates include security features. Certificates issued under the Guide Dog and Guide Service Act in the old style are valid until they expire.
The comparison below shows the difference:
Front Old Style
Back Old Style
Front New Style
Back New Style