Applying for Articles
- Download the application and the notice of articles from this web page during January of the year before you want to begin your articles. Instructions for completing the application are posted to this web page together with the form, and include the address to send the application package to and its due date.
If you completed law school outside of Canada, you must provide us with documentation showing that you will have completed the requirements of the National Committee on Accreditation before May 1 of the year in which you wish to start articles.
- Application packages will be assessed and a shortlist of candidates determined. Incomplete application packages and application packages received after the due date will not be considered. All applicants will be contacted by mail or email.
- The Legal Services Branch (LSB) and BC Prosecution Service articled student programs each receive about 200 applications each year. Depending on the number of applications received, preliminary shortlisting may be done based on law school grades. Additional shortlisting for positions with the Legal Services Branch will be based on the other application materials.
- BC Prosecution Service candidates will be shortlisted based on their application material and their responses to written questions.
LSB candidates who are shortlisted based on their application materials will be given a written assessment. Following the written assessment, those candidates who continue in the selection process will be offered an oral interview.
All shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview before a panel of lawyers. The ministry may arrange videoconference interviews for candidates outside of British Columbia who cannot travel to Victoria or Vancouver.
- Successful candidates will receive an employment offer by mail.
Note: The ministry is pleased to receive applications from students looking for articles for the year following their clerkship, or who are considering a clerkship and want to defer their articles for a year if a clerkship is offered.