Applying for Articles
*Please Note: Applications for 2024/25 articles closed on February 28, 2023 at 11:00 pm PST*
- Download the application and the Notice of Articles from this web page during January of the year before you want to begin your articles (for example, if you want to article with the Ministry of Attorney General in 2025, you will need to apply in 2024). The application form and instructions for completing the application are posted to this web page together with the address to send the application package to and the due date.
If you completed law school outside of Canada, you must provide documentation showing that you will have completed the requirements of the National Committee on Accreditation before May 1 of the year in which you wish to start articles.
- Incomplete application packages and application packages received after the due date will not be considered. All applicants will be contacted by mail or email.
- The Legal Services Branch (LSB) and BC Prosecution Service (BCPS) articling student programs each receive about 200 applications each year. Depending on the number of applications received, preliminary shortlisting may be done based on law school transcripts.
- Additional shortlisting for positions with the LSB will be based on the content of your other application materials.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a written interview (remotely). This assessment will be scored, and candidates will be further shortlisted.
- All candidates shortlisted after the written interview will be invited for an oral interview before a panel of lawyers and/or branch staff.
- Successful candidates will receive an employment offer by telephone and email.
Note: The ministry is pleased to receive applications from students looking for articles for the year following their clerkship, or who are considering a clerkship and want to defer their articles for a year if a clerkship is offered. We are considering offering truncated articles (4-5 months minimum) to students who have or will complete a clerkship before the start of their articles. Students are encouraged to attend PLTC in the summer prior to their clerkship.
2024/25 Articles Recruitment Schedule (Approximate timelines, all times in PST):
Applications open: Jan 18, 2023; 9:30am
MS Teams Info Session: Jan 31, 2023; 2:00 – 3:00pm
MS Teams Info Session: Feb 15, 2023; 10:00 – 11:00am
MS Teams Info Session: Feb 23, 2023; 4:30 – 5:30pm
Applications close: Feb 28, 2023; 11:00pm
Internal Screening: Mar 1 – 27, 2023
Written Interview Invites Sent: Mar 27 and 28, 2023
Written Interviews: Apr 3 – 6, 2023 (multiple time slots available)
Oral Interview Invites Sent: Apr 25 and 26, 2023
Oral Interviews (LSB): May 1 – 9, 2023 (multiple time slots available)
Oral Interviews (BC PS): April 24 – May 9, 2023 (multiple time slots available)
Reference Checks: May 12 – 17, 2023
Offers go out: May 17 – 26, 2023
Regrets go out: May 26 – 31, 2023