Child or Young Witness

If you are a child or young person (under 19) and you witness a crime being committed or suspicious behaviour, talk to an adult about what you saw. This includes violence you may have witnessed between your family members (for example, between your mom and dad).

In an emergency, dial 911 immediately. If it is not an emergency and you have witnessed a crime, call your local police non-emergency number. The number is in the white pages of your phone book under Police or in the blue pages under Government – Municipal & Regional Districts.

Getting Help and Support

To talk to someone other than the police about a crime you witnessed, receive help and support or find out more information, visit Child or Young Victim.

Court Information for Children and Young Witnesses

For information about court for children and young witnesses, see: Let's Go to Court - A Guide to Court Orientation for Child and Youth Witnesses.

Testimonial Accommodation

To help support you when you appear in court as a witness, the court offers testimonial accommodations. These are ways that you can give your testimony without sitting in front of the accused or others in the courtroom. Crown counsel may submit a request to the judge for testimonial accommodations. Tell Crown counsel if you need help testifying.

For more information, visit Court Support (Understanding Criminal Justice).

Safety - Protecting Children and Youth

If you have reason to believe a child or young person (under 19) needs protection because they, for example, are being abused, neglected or sexually exploited, you have a legal obligation to report that to the the Ministry of Children and Family Development. For more information and help reporting that a child or youth needs protection, call the Helpline for Children.

Visit Child or Youth Victim to learn about children and youth who are victims of crime.