Criminal Record Access

This section provides information about how you can obtain a copy of your criminal record and who has access to it.

Accessing Your Own Criminal Record

You have the right to access your own criminal record. You can request a copy from the RCMP or your local police under the Privacy Act of Canada. Criminal record checks are completed by municipal police and local RCMP detachments.

If you find inaccuracies or errors in your criminal record, you can request that corrections be made under the Privacy Act. Make your request to your local police station.

For more information on how to use the Privacy Act to obtain and correct criminal record information, see: Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.

Refer to the section on court records for more information on the difference between a criminal record and a court record.

Who Has Access to Your Criminal Records

Most federal and provincial law enforcement agencies can view your criminal record through computer systems. They include Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Parks Canada, Canada Revenue Agency, United States Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. state police.

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act protects your personal information from being given out by such agencies as the federal or provincial government. This means information about your criminal record cannot be given out to such groups as employers, schools, colleges, universities, and community agencies unless you agree to sign a criminal record release form (CRR). The act does not apply to court records.

More Information

For more information about criminal records and criminal record checks, please visit: