Chief Forester’s Standards for Seed Use
The province's chief forester established the Chief Forester's Standards for Seed Use in accordance with the Forest and Range Practices Act and its regulations. These standards came into effect on April 1, 2005.
On this page:
These standards require that seed used to establish a free growing stand on blocks subject to Forest and Range Practices Act must be registered, tested, and stored, with the ministry’s, Forest Improvement and Research Management Branch (Tree Seed Centre). Seed must meet specific collection, genetic diversity and physical quality requirements to be eligible for registration. Seed that has been genetically modified cannot be registered. Seed use standards also apply to seed collection (Collection Area), selection and use (Genetic Worth), and seed transfer (Areas of Use). Collectively, these standards maintain the identity, adaptability, diversity and productivity of the province's tree gene resources.
Consolidated Chief Forester's Standards for Seed Use (April 2022)(PDF, 576KB) April, 2022 - current version for operational use
Forest enhancement and forest carbon initiatives
For information see, Best Practices for Seed Use in a Changing Climate Dec 2019 (PDF, 279KB)
Amendments refer to changes to the Chief Forester's Standards for Seed Use, including changes registration, storage and testing, seed selection and use, and seed transfer (areas of use).
- Climate Based Seed Transfer Areas of Use May 2022 v1 (XLSX, 3.9MB) May, 2022 - current version for operational use
- Chief Forester letter announcing amendments May, 2022 (PDF, 262KB)
To learn more about tree seed areas of use applicable under older versions of the Standards, visit the Area of Use webpage.
Under section 169 of the Forest and Range Practices Act (FRPA), and regulations pertaining to seed use (FPPR section 43 and WLPPR section 32), a person who uses seed may submit for approval an alternative to any standard established by the Chief Forester. For more information, see the Alternatives Policy (PDF, 380KB).
Documents and materials listed below are provided for historical reference.
- Amendments to the Standards – May 2014 (PDF, 369KB)
- Amendment to the Standards – June 2010 9PDF, 177KB)
- Amendment to the Standards – November 2008 (PDF, 160KB)
- Amendment to the Standards – June 2008 (PDF, 167KB)
- Amendments to the Standards – November 2006 (PDF, 189KB)
- Changes to Seed Transfer Limits – April 2005 (PDF, 195KB)
- Notice from Jim Snetsinger, Chief Forester – November 29, 2004 (PDF, 173KB)