Haida Gwaii Strategic Land Use Agreement
The Haida Gwaii / Queen Charlotte Islands land use plan process took place 2002-2004 and was followed by government-to-government negotiations that culminated in the Haida Gwaii Strategic Land Use Agreement in 2007.
The Haida Gwaii Strategic land use agreement provided zoning for new conservancies, special value areas, and an ecosystem-based management (EMB) operating area. Special value areas included wildlife habitat for species of significant cultural importance to the Haida Nation.
Management objectives in the Haida Gwaii Strategic Land Use Agreement became land use objectives which were legally established by ministerial order on December 17, 2010. The Order established ecosystem-based management on Haida Gwaii and balances cultural, ecological, social and economic objectives.
Haida Gwaii Management Council
The Haida Gwaii management council was convened in 2011 and became the decision-making body for land use objectives on Haida Gwaii. On May 9, 2014, the Haida Gwaii management council established a minor amendment to the 2010 order to add a new northern goshawk nest reserve to Schedule 12 and to update wording in the preamble and Section 1 indicating that the Haida Gwaii management council has legal authority under the Haida Gwaii Reconciliation Act to amend orders and establish new orders.
- Land Use Plan Recommendations Report and Addenda (PDF, 4.1MB)
- Socio-Economic Assessment of Land Use Viewpoints (PDF)
- Land Use Viewpoints: Ecological Risk Assessment (PDF)
- Land Use Plan Timber Supply Analysis – Analysis of Viewpoints (PDF)
- Land Use Plan Environmental Conditions Report (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Land Use Plan Timber Supply Analysis – Analysis of Base Cases (PDF)
- Haida Gwaii Land Use Vision (PDF)
- Land Use Zones Map (PDF)
- Schedule 1 – Landscape Units Covered by this Order (PDF)
- Schedule 2 – Haida Traditional Features (PDF)
- Schedule 3 – Cedar Stewardship Areas (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Schedule 4 – Type I and Type II Fish Habitat (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Schedule 5 – Tree Heights Chart (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Schedule 5 – Watershed Units (PDF)
- Schedule 6 – Upland Stream Area Watershed Sub-Units (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Schedule 7 – Sensitive Watersheds (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Schedule 8 – Forest Reserves (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Schedule 9 – Marbled Murrelet Nesting Habitat Targets (PDF)
- Schedule 10 – Ecological Representation Targets by Landscape Unit (PDF)
- Schedule 11 – Marbled Murrelet Nesting Habitat (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Schedule 12 – Northern Goshawk and Northern Saw-whet Owl Reserves (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Schedule 13 – Red-Listed and Blue-Listed Ecological Communities (PDF)