Southern Rocky Mountain Management Plan
The Southern Rocky Mountains Management Plan was initiated in 2001 to balance economic, social and environmental values for the long-term health of the
economy, communities and ecosystems within the eastern portion of the Cranbrook Timber Supply Area. The plan was developed to be consistent with regional land use strategic planning direction. The plan was created in collaboration with BC government staff, resource sector representatives and local tourism and recreation operators. The development process included extensive public consultation. The plan was completed in 2003.
The plan was amended in 2010 to reflect the B.C. Government's decision to remove mining, oil and gas, and coal exploration and development as permissible land uses in the Flathead River Watershed, in support of the British Columbia - Montana Memorandum of Understanding and Cooperation on Environmental Protection, and Climate Action and Energy. In 2011, the Flathead Watershed Area Conservation Act was introduced to establish coal and mineral reserves, prohibit Crown land dispositions for mining purposes, prohibit issuance of Mines Act permits, prohibit issuance of Oil and Gas Activities Act permits for oil and gas exploration and development, and prohibit disposition of Crown reserves under the Petroleum and Natural Gas Act within the Flathead watershed.
The Southern Rocky Mountain Management Plan does not limit, and was not intended to limit, ongoing Treaty negotiations between the Ktunaxa Kinbasket Treaty Council, British Columbia and Canada. The Ktunaxa Nation was informed of the planning process; however, to date the Ktunaxa do not consider the consultation to have been meaningful or adequate. Consideration of the Ktunaxa’s interests in the plan area was scheduled to occur following approval of the plan (Part G).
- Effects of Motorized Recreation on Grizzly Bears and Rocky Mountain Ungulates 2002 (PDF, 0.3MB)
- Listed Vertebrate and Vascular Plant Species Occurring in the Cranbrook Forest District and in the Southern Rocky Mountain Management Plan Area 2002 (PDF, 0.7MB)
- Southern Rocky Mountain Management Plan - Background Report 2002 (PDF, 0.2MB)
- Socio-Economic Base Case For The Southern Rocky Mountain Management Plan 2002 (PDF, 0.8MB)
- Southern Rocky Mountains Management Plan Base Case Environmental Assessment 2002 (PDF, 0.7MB)
- Socio-Economic Assessment of the Public Review Draft Southern Rocky Mountain Management Plan 2003 (PDF, 0.5MB)
- Southern Rocky Mountains Management Plan – Public Review Draft Environmental Risk Assessment 2003 (PDF, 0.5MB)