BCAB #1229 - P-Trap Access Panel and Backflow Preventor for Pull-Out Spray

December 18, 1990

BCAB #1229

Re: P-Trap Access Panel and Backflow Preventor for Pull-Out Spray

Project Description

A double sink in an island counter in a single family dwelling kitchen. The trap is located in the floor below the sinks. A cleanout wye is provided about 15" above the trap.

The sink is equipped with a CSA listed Euromix 500 faucet with a pull-out spray and a factory installed check valve to prevent back-siphonage.

Reason for Appeal

building official has required an access panel for the kitchen sink trap and a backflow preventer for the pull-out spray in the kitchen faucet.

Appellant's Position

The appellant feels that an access panel should not be required because a cleanout wye has been provided above the trap.

Regarding the backflow preventor for the pull-out spray the appellant contends that the factory installed check valve should be acceptable. He also asks how a CSA "approved" product can be rejected?

Building Official's Position

The building official maintains that Clauses 2.3.1.(2)(a) & (b) of the B.C. Plumbing Code clearly state the requirements for cleanout or trap removal for sinks. They also maintain that the factory installed check valve does not meet the B-64 standard as required by Sentence 2.9.9.(1) of the Plumbing Code and, therefore, a "WATTS#7" or equivalent backflow preventor is required.

Appeal Board Decision #1229

The Board has determined that the CSA standard applying to faucets, CSA-B125, "Plumbing Fittings", requires backflow prevention in conformance to CSA-B64.0, "Definitions, General Requirements, and Test Methods for Vacuum Breakers and Backflow Preventers." Therefore a faucet assembly incorporating a pull-out spray and bearing certification to CSA-B125 should be acceptable.

The Board considers that Sentence 2.3.1.(2) of the Plumbing Code requires a trap to be cleanable and this implies that physical access to the trap is required. This would mean that where the trap is concealed in a floor or wall appropriate access would be needed.

George R. Humphrey, Chair