Building Official Qualifications
The Building Act sets qualification requirements for building and plumbing officials. These requirements help ensure officials are competent and professional in performing their role. The aim is to increase consistency in how the Building Code and building regulations are interpreted and enforced.
Webinar February 2, 2021
On February 2 from 1:00 to 2 p.m., the Building and Safety Standards Branch and the Building Officials’ Association of B.C. will co-host a free webinar about the mandatory Building Official qualification requirements that begin to apply on February 28, 2021.
Join BSSB’s Executive Director, Andrew Pape-Salmon, and Tyler Wightman, Registrar of Qualified Building Officials and BOABC’s Executive Director, for a discussion about how these changes may affect day-to-day operations of local authorities.
- To attend, email Building.Safety@gov.bc.ca before noon on Monday, February 1, 2021
What are the qualification requirements?
Building and plumbing officials who work for a local government to decide whether building activities conform with a provincial building regulation must be either
- A member in good standing of the Building Officials’ Association of British Columbia (BOABC), or
- A person who is exempt from building official qualifications
Future requirements (by February 28, 2021)
Building and plumbing officials who work for a local government will have to
- Pass exams according to the level of their responsibilities (class and scope of practice)
- Be entered in the register of qualified building officials
- Pay an annual administrative fee
- Submit an annual report
- Undertake annual continuing professional development (CPD)
- Architects who are registered by the Architectural Institute of British Columbia (AIBC)
- Professional Engineers (P.Eng.) in good standing who are registered and licensed with the Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia
- Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia members with a limited licence for a scope of practice that includes consulting on building regulations
- People with designated qualifications under the Safety Standards Act
- Those making decisions about the fire prevention and response matters, or fire suppression matters, listed in the Building Act General Regulation
Who administers the qualification requirements?
The BOABC has been selected by the Province as the administrator. The Minister has designated Tyler Wightman, Executive Director of the BOABC, to be the registrar of qualified building officials.
Building Act Guide update
Check back soon for links to an updated B1 Appendix and Section B2 of the Building Act Guide.
For more information
- Read Technical Bulletin B21-01 Building Officials Qualifications (PDF)
- Review the information package (PDF) about the new trainee classes brought into force on December 12, 2019
- Review Section B2 Building Act Guide, "What Building and Plumbing Officials Need to Know about the Building Act"
- Visit the BOABC website or email BOABC
- Review the Building Act and the Building Act General Regulation
The content on this page was updated by the Province of British Columbia on February 16, 2021.