Preparing the land for planting should include:
- levelling of the land to a relatively even surface with little compaction
- drainage and irrigation installation
- gravel/rock removal
- weed management through cultivation and herbicide application in the season before planting. Care must be exercised to not plant into soils with recent applications of residual herbicides.
- additional soil amendments based on soil test results
- ground cover to prevent soil erosion and reduce weed competition
- inter-row considerations preparation for an alternate crop while hazelnut trees are growing to first harvest